cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just took Experian to small claims court and.........

tag
trc1963
Established Member

I just took Experian to small claims court and.........

I've done extensive research on cleaning up my credit and I'm going to lay some facts on the table that I found are untrue, unlike a lot of people, books, newsletters that are giving us misleading information.

1. Myth - Experian wont provide you with a "Method of verification" for a Bankruptcy. This is false, today Experian provide me with a name of the company, its called "PACER" which is who they use to verify almost all the information on our credit reports.

2. Myth - Experian has 30 days to respond to your complaint. This is false, Our court systems don't care and this alone is not a reason to file a small claims against them.

3. Myth - Experian does not keep records of deleted items on your report. This is false, In court today they had a 3 inch thick folder containing "Hard Copies" of almost every credit report I ever gotten, they used these reports to compare to other information that was deleted long ago.

4. Myth - Credit bureaus do not go to the court house directly to get information about you. This is False, the representative in court today went herself to the court house and pulled records of my bankruptcy while she waited and had them in court.

5. Myth - Credit Bureaus most likely will not even show up in court. This is false, not only did one rep show up but they sent two.

Also note that if you take a Bureau to small claims court you will have to ask for a dollar amount for damages. 

(08/15/07) TU 643, EQ 660, EX653
(11/16/07) TU 643, EQ 685, EX653
(01/05/08) TU 660,EQ 660, EX685
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
stagefoursurvivor
Established Contributor

Re: I just took Experian to small claims court and.........

OK, what was the outcome?

11/14/14 Total CL $1,100; 6/30/15 Total CL $180K
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I agree with much of what you have said.  While some may misinterpret the statutues, I see nothing sinister or illegal in most of the CRA activities you have described. Anyone knows that a lot of what is on the net is crappy information, but the correct information is also there. 

Dont think that what a court can require is the same as what you can requaire absent a legal proceeding.  For example, a CA never, under the FDCPA, has any legal obligation to provide debt verification in response to your DV letter, but once in court, the court can compel it through legal discovery.

1. PACER (Public Access to Court Electronic Records) is a well know database of all federal court decisions, and anyone can access it. The user must pay a fee for each inquiry.  It is not a private "company," it is run as a part of the federal judiciary.  It cannot be used to varify most things in your CR.  It only incorcorates federal dsitrict, appellant, and bankruptcy court cases.  State civiil and criminal cases are not in PACER.  If a CRA has used PACER to verify a bankruptcy,  that is their right to access public information.  When you are in court and avail y0urself of the legal discovery process, yes, they can be required to notify you of this.  But not without court santioned discovery.

2. I can understand why a  state court would not hold a CRA in violation of FCRA 611(a) simply for failure to respond to your dispute within 30-days.  Faiure to respond in 30-days brings on the requirements of FCRA 611(a)(5), and failure to comply with those requirments should probalbly been raised as a sepate federal action for violation of the FCRA.  If not dispositive of your small claims action, state ruling would be nothing more than dicta anyway.

3.No CRA is ever required to delete anything from their credit files .It is not sinister tfor the CRA to be maintaining any records they wish to retain.  What is required under the various provisions of FCRA 605(a) is simply that a CRA cannot normally post certain derogatory information in any CR they issue after those dates.  They can continue to even report the account, absent the derogs.  There is a very good legal reason for a CRA to retain data, and that reason is that the CRing limitations of FCRA 605(a) are not absolute.  There is a blanket exemption in FCRA 605(b) for future credit transactions involving a principal amount of $150,000 or above. 

4.Anyone can go to a court house to obtain public records

5. CRAs will show up in court if a named party in your actrion, or if summoned.  If not,they wont come.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trc1963 wrote:

I've done extensive research on cleaning up my credit and I'm going to lay some facts on the table that I found are untrue, unlike a lot of people, books, newsletters that are giving us misleading information.

1. Myth - Experian wont provide you with a "Method of verification" for a Bankruptcy. This is false, today Experian provide me with a name of the company, its called "PACER" which is who they use to verify almost all the information on our credit reports.

2. Myth - Experian has 30 days to respond to your complaint. This is false, Our court systems don't care and this alone is not a reason to file a small claims against them.

3. Myth - Experian does not keep records of deleted items on your report. This is false, In court today they had a 3 inch thick folder containing "Hard Copies" of almost every credit report I ever gotten, they used these reports to compare to other information that was deleted long ago.

4. Myth - Credit bureaus do not go to the court house directly to get information about you. This is False, the representative in court today went herself to the court house and pulled records of my bankruptcy while she waited and had them in court.

5. Myth - Credit Bureaus most likely will not even show up in court. This is false, not only did one rep show up but they sent two.

Also note that if you take a Bureau to small claims court you will have to ask for a dollar amount for damages. 

4.  Actually, this is not a myth.  Under normal circumstances, a CRA does not go to the court or otherwise obtain information directly from the court or PACER on individuals.  They did this in your case because they were being sued.  Otherwise they just rely on third party data aggregators who scour public records and sell the information to the CRAs.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.