Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need an installment loan...

tag
tempusfugit123
Frequent Contributor

Re: I need an installment loan...

Thanks for that info! I am needing an installment loan because I have only credit cards and it is hindering me from opening new accounts and getiting cli's.

I am currently going back to school so I'm hoping finally getting a student loan will help improve my chances of approval.

Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

jamie123 wrote:

I mean, what if the FICO installment loan points worked like this:

No matter what the term of the loan, you gain all the points in the first 10 months. We don't know if that is true or false.

Typically, if you are worried about having the absolute highest score possible, you are planning on apping for an auto loan or mortgage. That is where having an installment loan on your reports will really benefit you in the long run. You can usually get your scores high enough to get any credit card you want by other means.

First, Jamie, thanks for your reply and the all the information you have provided on this thread and others, AND...

Oh, I am ABSOLUTELY getting a loan, probably TOMORROW.  The only thing I was questioning, and only as an "educated guess," was the wisdom of the 4 year loan.  I am afraid that one year is the way to go, if you don't want to wait 3 years to max the benefits.  Now, the one year has other issues, but score maximizing is not one of them, I THINK.

Message 12 of 29
leegreen
Frequent Contributor

Because of the theorized formula. I would suggest to somebody with no loans to get two, one for one year and one for four. You can use the proceeds from the first to secure the second. The first loan hits it's sweet spot quickly and then pays off 6 months later as the second loan is getting in its sweet spot. You shouldn't experience a payoff drop with the one year as you will still have the four year. That is just my opinion although pure speculation.
06/26/2014 - Gardening until 7/1/15
NFCU NavCheck 15k, cashRewards VS 14k, nRewards 14k
Amex BCE 15k, CapOne Quicksilver MC 3k, USAA Platinum MC 2k, Discover It 1k
Jared 5.1K, Zales 5k, Lowe's 15k, Home Depot 5k
Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@leegreen wrote:
Because of the theorized formula. I would suggest to somebody with no loans to get two, one for one year and one for four. You can use the proceeds from the first to secure the second. The first loan hits it's sweet spot quickly and then pays off 6 months later as the second loan is getting in its sweet spot. You shouldn't experience a payoff drop with the one year as you will still have the four year. That is just my opinion although pure speculation.
Thanks for you input.
I think that is an important improvement over the two 4-year-loans.  However, at the moment I am more convinced that two one year loans, rotated every 6 months might maximize things.  But, as we all are saying, we are all speculating... although there is a method to all our madness....

Message 14 of 29
leegreen
Frequent Contributor

Staggering the two one year loans introduces a new account very frequently. Maybe mend my earlier comment to start with the one and four and two years later add another four, continue until you buy a car or house.
Message 15 of 29
jamie123
Valued Contributor

I actually have 1 four year and 1 two year loan.

Alliant would only go 4 years on a $500 loan and SDFCU would only go 2 years on a $500 loan so I think I'm doing what you guys are doing even though I didn't plan it that way. Smiley Wink

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@leegreen wrote:
Staggering the two one year loans introduces a new account very frequently. Maybe mend my earlier comment to start with the one and four and two years later add another four, continue until you buy a car or house.

Although there would be no HP, that "new account" point, you make, it's true.  The only way around it would be for Amex to keep making AF cards that can "neutralize" it...  But, doing it my way, it's an issue...

Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamie123 wrote:

I actually have 1 four year and 1 two year loan.

Alliant would only go 4 years on a $500 loan and SDFCU would only go 2 years on a $500 loan so I think I'm doing what you guys are doing even though I didn't plan it that way. Smiley Wink

Well, we are all doing "similar" things but not the same.  My guess is that one of us will be right on the money, but the other two will not be that way off either.  The most important thing is that we all agree we are going in the right direction, and if we disagree as to which street gets us there faster, it's fine. Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 29
leegreen
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@leegreen wrote:

Although there would be no HP, that "new account" point, you make, it's true.  The only way around it would be for Amex to keep making AF cards that can "neutralize" it...  But, doing it my way, it's an issue...

Your AAoA could be easily handled with CC's Amex or other aging cards. Because of the constant "thickening" of the credit file the new account dings would be less and less as time went on. Hopefully these would be a stop gap until the purchase of a house anyway where the credit mix improves anyways. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@leegreen wrote:

Your AAoA could be easily handled with CC's Amex or other aging cards. Because of the constant "thickening" of the credit file the new account dings would be less and less as time went on. Hopefully these would be a stop gap until the purchase of a house anyway where the credit mix improves anyways. Smiley Happy

A solid mortgage improves many things, no question.  However, FICO points wise, the little secured loan could do better, although for a much shorter term.

Let's clarify for those who don't understand this friendly "dispute."  One side, which is not me, believes that the secured loan maximizes you points starting at the 9th month, and they plan to over-extend that good effect by getting a 2, 3, 4 year loan.

I, on the other side, think that is an optimistic understanding of the data.  I think the best effect of the loan starts at the 8th or 9th month, but not because it's the 8th month; but,  because it's the ENDING THIRD of a ONE YEAR loan, and that is why the points just go up.  So if you apply that to the two year loan, you would see the max points in about a year and a half, some of us would like it way sooner than that.

You guys are viewing data for the effects of a one year loan and attributing point results to a special month and not to the percentage of the loan that remains, that's a mistake, I THINK.  Smiley Sad

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.