Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help with a collections account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need help with a collections account

About 9 moths ago a collection appear in my credit file, a call the collection agency i ask then that if i pay the total balance they will remove it and they say yes. Well i pay for it but they did not remove it. i send then a letter of dispute and i ask for more info about this account, i never receive a response. i call then many times but they hung up on me, finally i was able to speak to representative, i ask her why they did not send me the information i requested that i was entitle to receive by law. She told me that they will not send me anything and they will not remove the collection.
what can i do about this. This is a violation of the fcra

please help

thank you
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Re: I need help with a collections account

Unfortunately they do have the right to "do nothing". You need to get things in writing when you ask for a PFD and the CA agrees.

I would suggest disputing the item with the CRA's.

Message Edited by ngerasimatos on 03-27-2008 01:17 PM
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you get this agreement in writting? If not, there isn't alot you can do. If you didn't DV them within the 30 days, and you don't live in a state that allows you to DV at anytime, I don't see that they are required by law to do anything.

ng said it faster than I could. My newborn nephew began throwing a fit, I had to pick him up in the middle of posting my message.

I've seen people dispute with the CRA and say that the CA agreed to delete and the CRA removing them, but I don't think it happens a lot.

Message Edited by sidewinder on 03-27-2008 01:21 PM
Message 3 of 10
FICOfit
Contributor

You should have gotten it in writing that they would delete if you paid.  They were just telling you what you wanted to hear so you would pay ASAP.  The reason they may not be sending you more info is because, by paying, you may have validated that the debt is yours (someone else may be able to confirm or dismiss this idea, so take it with a grain of salt).  Therefore, they would not be obligated to validate now. 
05/19/08 TU: 703 EQ:717 EX:710

05/08 TU:660 EQ:710 EX:621
04/08 TU:654 EQ:671 EX:618
3/08 TU:608 EQ:624 EX:623
11/07 TU:564 EQ:555 EX: 560
Goal: 700 club by Dec 2008. Can it be done? Heck yeah!! It's done, let's keep it that way!
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My real question is that i was entitled to receive a validation of the debt also statements for this account. i think they violate the fcra by refusing to send me this info. What can i do legally to solve this matter.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you request the validaton during the 30 day window? Or do you live in a state that allows you to DV at anytime?
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

i send the letter for validation before i pay debt.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

sidewinder yes i send the letter before the 30 days and before i pay the debt. And i never gotten a response
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they didn't validate and they  continued collection activity, then yes they were in violation.

However, since it's been so long and you went ahead and paid, I don't know that you could do anything.

Did they continue collection activity after you sent the DV?
Message 9 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

ngerasimatos wrote:
Unfortunately they do have the right to "do nothing". You need to get things in writing when you ask for a PFD and the CA agrees.

I would suggest disputing the item with the CRA's.

Message Edited by ngerasimatos on 03-27-2008 01:17 PM

Dispute...on what grounds?
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.