Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need some input

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need some input

Over the past few years I've been working on getting my credit cleaned up by paying off debts I was liable for, and disputing some others.  I'm seeing irregularities across my credit reports though.  There is one old account that was opened in 1987 for Castle Credit, and was so old I disputed it on all three reports.  It was removed from Transunion and Equifax, but it showed up on Experian and said it would be on record until 7/2016, and showed the last payment on the account was in July of 2006; a payment I didn't make.  I called the original creditor on it (prob a mistake) but they were actually polite and said it was so old it was not even on their records anymore.  They gave me the name of the collection agency that would have it, Asset Acceptance.  Did some research on them, read over a hundred items on Ripoff Report about them, but only after I called them (prob another mistake).  I did not acknowledge owing anything on it to them, the woman I spoke to just kept saying it was a valid debt.  I asked about the alleged payment made on the account in July of 2006, and that I had never even heard of Asset Acceptance until just before I called (June 13).  She said she didn't know anything about a payment in July of 2006, the last payment she showed on the account was in January of 1989, so I still owed on it.  I reminded her of the SOL in NC (where the account was opened) was 3 or 5 years depending on the type of account, but she ignored that and said it was a valid debt. 
On my Transunion report, it shows an inquiry by Tate & Kirlin on November 10, 2006.  I Googled the name and found that they had ties to Asset Acceptance.  i am presently working overseas and mailing out return reciept requested letters is not easy, I won't be able to do that until I am back in the US in a month and a half.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I need some input

If it were me, I would dispute it with the CA directly and make them PROVE the validity of the debt.  She can say all day long that it is a valid debt, but if they can't prove it, then they can't report it.  Second of all, I was under the impression that paying on it did not renew the SOL or start the clock over, but maybe others here can shed light on this.  It sounds very fishy to me, maybe even fraudulent.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.