cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to place credit freeze, but TransUnion is ignoring me completely - any suggestion?

tag
striders
Valued Member

I need to place credit freeze, but TransUnion is ignoring me completely - any suggestion?

Due to the recent fraud, I placed credit freeze (or security freeze) for Equifax and Experian. Both went through just fine, but for TransUnion (TU), I am unable to do so.

I went to TU website (I already have an account with them) and tried to place the freeze, but was greeted with "We are unable to process your request at this time" error. The error page gave me the option to do the freeze by phone or mail.

I called the number (888)909-8872 but got the same error - unable to place freeze. So I sent a letter based on the address presented above. I sent it USPS Certified Mail with Return Receipt.

I got the return receipt almost a month ago but I received no reply from TU. I don't know if the freeze has been placed or not (EQ and EX sent me a letter). I tried to call TU, but got into recording machine and... same error like before - unable to place freeze.

I don't know what else to do. Anyone can assist?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: I need to place credit freeze, but TransUnion is ignoring me completely - any suggestion?

Freezes are not provided for or regulated under the FCRA, so you must battle through whatever procedures are required by the CRA if they

As an interim measure, you may wish to separately place either an initial or  extended fraud alert on your file, which is regulated and required under the FCRA.

Initial fraud alerts require only a request from the consumer accomanied by a statement that you suspect fraud or identity theft.  They last for 90 days.

An extended fraud alert requires that you provide the CRA with a copy of a police ("identity theft") report, and lasts for several years.

Message 2 of 10
striders
Valued Member

Re: I need to place credit freeze, but TransUnion is ignoring me completely - any suggestion?

Thanks, Robert. I noticed that the FTC have a CRA complaint page (https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/IDTCRA#crnt), but I am not sure how effective they are.

I tried the initial fraud alert, but it went through the same process as placing the freeze and I got he same error: unable to process.

The extended fraud alert is a mail-in process, so I'll try that in hope TU will respond to me. I just want to know what the problem is for not being able to place freeze, which disconcerting to me.
Message 3 of 10
striders
Valued Member

UPDATE: I went to annualcreditreport.com and found out that TU DID put the security freeze on my credit report. However, I received no PIN number to unfreeze the report.

With EQ and EX, a PIN was given. I called TU automated line and it did say that a 6 digits PIN MUST be created to place and remove security freeze. But I got no PIN! Now what?

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

where do you live? You may need to pay fees for credit freeze. It depends upon where you live. However, there are many places where there are no fees associted. Please check the TransUnion site for details.

Message 5 of 10
danieljohnsonk
Established Member

@striders wrote:

Due to the recent fraud, I placed credit freeze (or security freeze) for Equifax and Experian. Both went through just fine, but for TransUnion (TU), I am unable to do so.

I went to TU website (I already have an account with them) and tried to place the freeze, but was greeted with "We are unable to process your request at this time" error. The error page gave me the option to do the freeze by phone or mail.

I called the number (888)909-8872 but got the same error - unable to place freeze. So I sent a letter based on the address presented above. I sent it USPS Certified Mail with Return Receipt.

I got the return receipt almost a month ago but I received no reply from TU. I don't know if the freeze has been placed or not (EQ and EX sent me a letter). I tried to call TU, but got into recording machine and... same error like before - unable to place freeze.

I don't know what else to do. Anyone can assist?

I had the same issue today. I subscribe to the Transunion monitoring service and when I clicked on credit lock it replied with the same error message you received. I ended up calling the Fraud Dept at 1(800)-680-7289 option #5. Option 5 is to place a fraud alert but don't worry about that you just want to talk to a live agent and the TU system is the worst I've seen for keeping you confused and unable to talk to a person. When I finally got to a customer service agent he was able to place the credit freeze and he gave me the 6 digit pin number. It cost $10 to place the freeze. I thought it would be free with our subscription to the service. The automated phone number to unfreeze your report is 1(888)909-8872.  Don't lose the pin number or I think they will charge you again to unfreeze your file.

Message 6 of 10
striders
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

where do you live? You may need to pay fees for credit freeze. It depends upon where you live. However, there are many places where there are no fees associted. Please check the TransUnion site for details.

I live in CA and know about the fees. The problem is that, even if I want to pay for it, I can't get it. But I made another update that now I got it, but I received no PIN. Smh...

Message 7 of 10
striders
Valued Member

Oh, I am glad it's not just me. Well, it's bad we both got the same errors...

I never seen the phone number you mentioned. The one presented from TU website was (888)909-8872. I will try to call the number you provided, though my issue seems to be bigger: security freeze was placed but I got no PIN.

Message 8 of 10
danieljohnsonk
Established Member

@striders wrote:

Oh, I am glad it's not just me. Well, it's bad we both got the same errors...

I never seen the phone number you mentioned. The one presented from TU website was (888)909-8872. I will try to call the number you provided, though my issue seems to be bigger: security freeze was placed but I got no PIN.

Customer service told me there was a security freeze but when I called the Fraud Dept he said there was no freeze and that's when I had him do the freeze. TU cistomer service is somewhere between crappy and bites the big one.

Message 9 of 10
striders
Valued Member

Hi all,

Just a quick update: based on suggestion from @danieljohnsonk, I called the number and was able to place the security freeze. A few things to share:

1). The call seems to be outsourced and the operator and I had a hard time understanding each other. I have to repeat my entire mailing address letter by letter and she still got it wrong. After the nth time, she got it right.

2). There WAS already a security freeze in place and it's probably from the letter I sent (see my 1st post above), but there was no PIN given by TU. Adding the freeze via phone generates a PIN that the operator gave me.

I wish this is easier and TU will give more information on why I cannot do it online, rather than giving some cryptic errors.

Thanks to all who have helped!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.