Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to remove an item from my credit report that belongs to my brother

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need to remove an item from my credit report that belongs to my brother

I am purchasing a home and my broker called to inquire about an AUTO loan showing on my credit report. I told her it did not belong to me and my automobiles are all paid off. She suggested we do a rapid rescore with CSC to get rid of it. CSC says that I have to dispute this with the actual creditor myself. I thought about it further and realized my brother just recently bought a car and the creditor, in error, reported it on my report.

Our names are spelled very similiar and our SS#s are very close. So items appear on both of our reports that should be on the other's report from time to time. As a real estate investor, I just usually do a rapid rescore to get rid of it but CSC said in this case, I needed to do this myself.

Do I just send a dispute letter with the creditor information, my SS#, name, address and let them know it should be on my brother's report? And what would a dispute letter look like in this scenario?

Forgive me for being wordy and a neophyte, but I'm new to forum.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I need to remove an item from my credit report that belongs to my brother

First of all contact the lender to see what info they have on file. I would inform them that I am not the borrower on this account.  Is it possible that due to the similarities, your brother may have inadvertantly entered your info?  Maybe listed you as a cosigner?  Whatever you do I would get this taken care of quickly.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I looked at my credit report and the page that displays all the creditors and their information. For this one, it says BYMAILONLY.

So I just write a very brief letter explaining I am not the borrower on the account?

Thanks for your help!
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

720andabove wrote:
I looked at my credit report and the page that displays all the creditors and their information. For this one, it says BYMAILONLY.

So I just write a very brief letter explaining I am not the borrower on the account?

Thanks for your help!

I would send a dispute to all CRAs that have it posted on your CR (CMRRR) you will need to send a copy of your ID....call them first & ask what to send I think they want 2 or 3 ID....these can also be faxed.....you would dispute it as NOT MINE.........At the same time send a letter to the OC and point out the incorrect info. send that CMRRR also. Tell the OC that this is on your CR and causing you harm.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.