cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I pay $9000 a year in car insurance!

tag
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: I pay $9000 a year in car insurance!

@thom02099 wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

Wow!

Where do you have your insurance?  Have you tried places that deal with high risk?

How old are you?  Male?  Female?  Where do you live?   All of this is taken into account for insurance.

+1.

The more info you can/will provide, the better we can answer.  Factors that influence your rate:

AGE =

GENDER =

LOCATION =
# OF ACCIDENTS (in past 3-5 years...depends on state as to which is relevant) =

# AND TYPE OF MOVING VIOLATIONS (not parking tickets) =

---> TYPE OF CAR <--- =

FINANCED YES/NO =

IF FINANCED, WHAT ARE LIENHOLDER'S REQUIREMENTS =

$900 may not be out of line, depending on the OP's answers to this.  The vehicle (make/model/year) will be a big factor, the # of accidents and moving violations will also be major factors, and depending on the vehicle and lienholder's requirements, no amount of shopping around can significantly change what's going to be paid if there's a high risk.  Insurance companies frequently provide a list of risk factors for certain vehicles, ones that generate a lot of claims, and (high) rates are based on some of this data, in addition to personal data. 

Message 31 of 36
HELENofTROY
Established Member

I switched from Progressive to GEICO and my insurance went from $767/month to $414/mth and staring in March with GEICO it will be down to $355/mth.  I'm not sure why it was so high.

Starting Score (4/6/2013): (All lender pulls) Exp 583, Trans 570, Eq 535
Current Scores: (2/13/14) Exp 687, Trans 640 , Equifax 599 (myfico????)
Goal Scores: 640-720

Credit: BOA Platinum Plus Visa ($2K), NFCU Cash Rewards ($6K), AMEX Everyday BLUE ($2K), Victoria's Secret ($500)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 32 of 36
HELENofTROY
Established Member

The General isn't avail in MD.  Smiley Sad I had alot of accidents.  And a few speeding tickets.  My state goes back 5 years, some insurances only use the last 3 yrs i think.  I was dropped from GEICO because of too many accidents, I went to MAIF, then from MAIF to Progressive and now back at GEICO.  $150 @ GEICO, $1008 at MAIF, $767 @ Progressive...now back with GEICO since about Oct 2013 .... It was $414 when I first enrolled and will be $355 starting March.  My tix and accidents will be gone by Oct 2014. I'm hoping to get back to the $150 or less!

Starting Score (4/6/2013): (All lender pulls) Exp 583, Trans 570, Eq 535
Current Scores: (2/13/14) Exp 687, Trans 640 , Equifax 599 (myfico????)
Goal Scores: 640-720

Credit: BOA Platinum Plus Visa ($2K), NFCU Cash Rewards ($6K), AMEX Everyday BLUE ($2K), Victoria's Secret ($500)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 33 of 36
Involver
Valued Contributor

Holy sh*t and I thought my insurance ($94/month) was high.

Message 34 of 36
morganirish
Regular Contributor

I would either A. take the bus. or B. might be cheaper to hire someone to cart you around.   Or maybe take a driving course to see if you could brush up on your driving skills and maybe the insurance company would give you some points for the course.  

Message 35 of 36
bearze34
Established Member

I found that E-Surance was the cheapest by a pretty wide margin. I have full coverage, 25/50, and it is only $85/mo. for my wife and I on two cars. Of course, we have no points and drive a Kia and a Cobalt. Not exactly high dollar cars.
Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.