Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I really screwed up

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really screwed up

What a day! Man on man, I knew one day this would all come crashing down but never thought like this. I was just offered my dream job, great pay, chance to make great incentive, good area to work in, and all in all a good company. However, my credit score just cost me the job! The kicker was the offered me a chance to argue anything on my credit report and to put it into a worddoc. I did that but I have nothing to argue, the last year was tough. I lost my job, unemployment doesn't pay at all. I went from almost making six figures to now less than half. That is why my credit is in the dumps. How do you argue that? FRICK! Man this stinks, I know I got behind this year on stuff but I had to make the right call. Feed my family or pay a bill, I went with feed my family. My wife and I are trying to get back to once was a good living but now this has happened and really put a rain cloud on everything. I don't want to claim bankruptcy I am worried that will ruin my chances of ever getting a job. I just want scream and yell but I have to be a grown up and smile. I can't let my family see me like this, I need to keep saying over and over "this isn't my forever, this isn't my forever"...It just feels like it!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I really screwed up

@Anonymous wrote:

What a day! Man on man, I knew one day this would all come crashing down but never thought like this. I was just offered my dream job, great pay, chance to make great incentive, good area to work in, and all in all a good company. However, my credit score just cost me the job! The kicker was the offered me a chance to argue anything on my credit report and to put it into a worddoc. I did that but I have nothing to argue, the last year was tough. I lost my job, unemployment doesn't pay at all. I went from almost making six figures to now less than half. That is why my credit is in the dumps. How do you argue that? FRICK! Man this stinks, I know I got behind this year on stuff but I had to make the right call. Feed my family or pay a bill, I went with feed my family. My wife and I are trying to get back to once was a good living but now this has happened and really put a rain cloud on everything. I don't want to claim bankruptcy I am worried that will ruin my chances of ever getting a job. I just want scream and yell but I have to be a grown up and smile. I can't let my family see me like this, I need to keep saying over and over "this isn't my forever, this isn't my forever"...It just feels like it!

Maybe you screwed up; maybe you didn't.  Forum rules prohibit me from saying what I want to say, but remember the quote Forrest Gump made famous.  Smiley Wink

Hopefully the job will still come through after you've had a chance to let them know the specifics about your situation.  If all else fails, back to the drawing board and continue the march.  There are a lot of people here who can help you start to repair the damage you have done to your credit. 

Good luck ... and remember ... this is not your forever!

Message 2 of 8
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Did they tell you No, or are you assuming No?

I would put in the word doc exactly what you told us.  The world knows this country is in the toilet right now.  You're not the only one. 

I'm sending out positive energy beams your way!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Booner72 wrote:

I would put in the word doc exactly what you told us.

+1!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

For sure give them an explanation as to what happened.

Honestly, I hate that they check your creditscore now to get a job. It seems like people with bad credit would want the job just as much, if not more since they obviously need money. Silly!

Good luck and I sincerely hope the job pulls through for you!

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It does not sound to me like you screwed up at all, losing you job was a part of the economic disaster I'm sure, you did the right thing, you kept your family fed and safe, that's what's important.

I'm so sorry to hear that your were denied a job because of your CREDIT SCORE, that's just stupid!!!!!!

This is not forever, keep your head up and think positive thoughts.

And like the others have said, put in the word doc, exactly what you've told us.

I am wishing you all the Best of Luck, please keep us updated.

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Maybe I'm reading between the lines for their reluctance to hire based on your credit report, but I offer a few speculations for your consideration.

Maybe they will help you overcome the negative affects of what they saw in your CR.

I speculate that they most likely saw the presence of unpaid bad debt. Does your report show unpaid collections or charge-offs?

They are an indication, not only of credit risk, but of your potential susceptibility to compromise their business interests.  I am not suggesting you would do so, but they might consider that as a factor, particularly if the job entails supervisory or feduciary responsibilities.  Of particular concern might be the presence of any charge-offs.  By definition, when a creditor does a charge-off, they have concluded that the debt you owe is uncollectible.  That is a pretty damaging conclusion to be of record in your credit report.

If you have unpaid debt, do you have the funds to pay them? If not, reason for their concern.  If so, why have you chosen not to pay? 

Does the job you are seeking involve duties that put you in charge of policy or money?  If so, more reason for their concern.

Paying off old debt would be my first approach to improving your credit report for purposes of potential employer concerns.  While payment wont result in improvement of your credit score, it appears that in your situation, credit score is not the primary concern.

There are ways to recover.  Just analyze what is in your credit report that raises concerns regarding your business risks to them.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I was young and a year post college I was in the final phase of interviews with a Pharma company. They notified me they needed to do a credit pull and mine was not good. I had really struggled my last year of college to keep a roof over my head and literally charged my rent so I could finish school. Then I graduated and my first job paid a whopping 21,000 a year, my loans came due, etc. I had negotiated down some of the balances on my cards and borrowed the money to pay them off from a family member. I was terrified they would deny me the job because of my credit, but it turned out the reason they did the pull was primarily for a company AMEX. My future boss had the power to hire me anyway and he did but I had to pay cash for all of my company expenses and file for reimbursement which took 2-4 weeks. That was not fun! It was my first of many lessons about how much power your credit has over your life. At any rate I stayed with the company for almost 7 years and I know my boss was glad he took the "chance" on someone with bad credit. I hope they are understanding and give you the opportunity despite the rough past.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.