Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I received a letter from a law firm

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received a letter from a law firm

I will post all info later. Briefly it shows it is from Atlantic Financing. It is not showing who my original creditors are. It is showing ZERO balance The interest is a whooping $1800 some dollars How should I answer this letter?

Message Edited by cristina45000 on 02-29-2008 12:21 AM
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Re: I received a letter from a law firm

Any financing company is not a true law firm but rather a Collection Agency that says they contract lawyers.  How could they show no balance and interest of 1800?  Definitely Debt validate this one!!
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

cristina45000 wrote:
I will post all info later. Briefly it shows it is from Atlantic Financing. It is not showing who my original creditors are. It is showing ZERO balance The interest is a whooping $1800 some dollars How should I answer this letter?

Message Edited by cristina45000 on 02-29-2008 12:21 AM

What is DOFD, DOLA, SOL?

Is the letter from a law firm on behalf of Atlantic Financing or actually from Atlantic Financing?
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

"What is DOFD, DOLA, SOL?" And because I don't even know who the orignal creditor is I don't know any dates associated with this darn letter. "Is the letter from a law firm on behalf of Atlantic Financing or actually from Atlantic Financing?" I am reading it right now: The plaintiff is Atlantic Financing - nowhere in any of my credit report have I seen this company. They filed this case according to the letter to: San Mateo County Superior Court in Redwood City Should I try to contact the San Mateo Superior Court to find out how I should answer this letter. I am afraid getting a judgment on my record that I don't even have any idea what it is about. They don't even have any court appearance or anything it is just showing that they served me this letter. Thank you for the answers. I will write a validation letter tomorrow.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

cristina45000 wrote:
"What is DOFD, DOLA, SOL?"

DOFD- Date of First Deliquency
DOLA-Date of Last Activity
SOL- Statute of Limitations

I am unsure what you should do, but I'm sure HappyDays, Lady_Scarlet, Timothy, or one of the other much smarter contributors will be able to help you.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I will validate
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: that letter it was for the judgment they filed in Redwood City Orig amount was over $14K, I received a letter from San Mateo Court saying it has been denied and dismissed. They then turned around and just try to make the judgment to $1895 on interest only. They have already reported to 2 CRA that I have a judgment. When I wrote CRA that this needs to be validated as I have no knowledge of debt they were trying to get the judgment from, they turned around on me by using the exact same CASE Number saying I now only owe the $1895 interest but no PRINCIPAL AMOUNT, etc. I wrote them a letter last Friday making them validate and showing that I have furnished a copy of my letter to San Manteo Court. I also fax the same letter to them saying I have CMRRR it the same day I faxed it to them. Now, I am just waiting.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

First  is this the first letter that you received from them about anything?

What is showing on your CR  under what   public records?

Can you match this with any COs on your CR?

Has the judgment been given  IF so when?

IF it is a letter stating that they have filed or are going to....call courthouse and ask what you do to answer the summons!!!!!   do not let it drop!!!

IMO  DV only by CMRRR   not fax.    what state are you in?  find out what the law is as far as serving a summons
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

First  is this the first letter that you received from them about anything? This is the second one after the sent me one about 2 years ago, this was were they try to get a judgment against me, to garnish my wages.  I am and still sel-employed so the employer written was me, myself and I.  The judgment was denied by the San Mateo Court.  They still turn around and reported is as judgment which I later found out.

What is showing on your CR  under what   public records? It shows judgment with Case Number.  I will dispute this as soon as I get more information and more written information showing they should have not reported this.

Can you match this with any COs on your CR?  I am not sure how I can match it.  I don't see any charge off on my recent CR, but I have copies of my old ones.  I can try to find them and see if I can.  If I can match them what should I do with it?

Has the judgment been given  IF so when? I cannot remember when the judgment was given, but I get those info at San Mateo Court which I plan on doing this week.

IF it is a letter stating that they have filed or are going to....call courthouse and ask what you do to answer the summons!!!!!   do not let it drop!!! It does not I have any court hearing, that is why I copied the San Mateo Superior Court to ask them to send me more info about the case.  I plan on going there to get as much info and copies of whatever files I have under the Case Number/ 

IMO  DV only by CMRRR   not fax.    what state are you in?  find out what the law is as far as serving a summons I have DV by both, I was so furious that I fax them right before I DV by CMRRR.  I cannot believe that this people will try to drag this over and over again. 

And on the Memorandum of Costs after Judgment, Acknowledgment of Credit and Declaration of Accrued Interest:  It shows that:

Line 3:   ALL ALLOWED POSTJUDGMENT COSTS = $0.00
Line 4:  Acknowledgment of Credit = $0.00
Line 5:  Declaration of Accrued Interest = $1,895.40
Line 6:  I am the attorney for the judgment creditor was X out.
It was dated:  February 22, 2008 by a George L. Cohn of Atlantic Credit & Finance, Inc as the Plaintiff

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me say that I am not sue happy. It looks to me as they might have not only violated your rights BUT   might have violated state and federal laws. and I do not mean SOl or CRTP.

First I would contact your AGs office....I would not just file a complaint I would want to talk to or meet someone that can answer questions and knows what state laws were broken. They might have reported a judgment that did not happen....The judge will not be happy.

There could be laws that we have no idea about.

Copy everything,including your CR  and anything that the AG  gives you and mail CMRRR to the FTC

Also mail everything to the AG office in their state!

Usuall complaints are done online but in this case I would CMRRR  everything.

I would also be looking for a lawyer that tries cases in federal court....lawyer does not need to be in your state!
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.