Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I read somewhere on here that this was illegal? CA acting as an OC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I read somewhere on here that this was illegal? CA acting as an OC

I received a letter from some Lawyers office today demanding payment on an account that had previously dropped off my CR after I disputed it, it had the following........

"RJM Acquisitions LLC has purchased the above referenced account from XXXX (the OC), RJM has placed you account with us for collection.

Please be advised that out client RJM may submit negative information regarding this account to Trans Union or Experian"

I might be wrong but I think I saw a similar scenario on here sometime a while back and someone had mentioned that it was illegal for a CA to act as an OC? I dunno......any input would be appreciated, as well as a recommended course of action.

Thanks in advance

Message Edited by bobgr on 03-02-2008 05:00 PM
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I think I read somewhere on here that this was illegal? CA acting as an OC

bobgr wrote:
I received a letter from some Lawyers office today demanding payment on an account that had previously dropped off my CR after I disputed it, it had the following........

"RJM Acquisitions LLC has purchased the above referenced account from XXXX (the OC), RJM has placed you account with us for collection.

Please be advised that out client RJM may submit negative information regarding this account to Trans Union or Experian"

I might be wrong but I think I saw a similar scenario on here sometime a while back and someone had mentioned that it was illegal for a CA to act as an OC? I dunno......any input would be appreciated, as well as a recommended course of action.

Thanks in advance

Message Edited by bobgr on 03-02-2008 05:00 PM

What do you mean "CA act as an OC" They stated that they bought the account from the OC.

Message Edited by sidewinder on 03-02-2008 05:09 PM
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you know who the OC was  and what the DOFD  DOLA was? Do you know why it drop off your CR after a dispute?

Is RJM or any CA reporting on you CR?

This makes no sence....they say that they bought it & then say that they were assigned.

You say that the letter was from a lawyer?    Keep in mind that RJM are barfbags!!!!  this might be past CRTP

Message Edited by HappyDays on 03-02-2008 05:13 PM

Message Edited by HappyDays on 03-02-2008 05:15 PM
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sidewinder, the letter is NOT from RJM, it is from a some Law office claiming to represent RJM

HappyDays, the OC was Wachovia Bank, and I'm not sure why it dropped off.......... but the account itself was opened in 06 so I'm definitely still within the SOL etc

No CA (or OC) is reporting it on my CR FOR NOW, but I suspect that will change soon (they have to send the notification before they report right?)

I definitely agree with you that it makes absolutely no sense, how do I go about fighting this? I don't mind paying the debt, it's a small balance...........I just need to do it in such a way that it will not negatively affect me.

I also find the timing of this all very fishy since RJM just accepted my PFD from a different account...........

Barbags indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

bobgr wrote:
Sidewinder, the letter is NOT from RJM, it is from a some Law office claiming to represent RJM

Ok, I understand that RJM bought the account and turned it over to someone else(law office) to collect on it.

But RJM isn't trying to pass themselves off as the OC.

As far as I know it is legal for a CA to send a debt that they bought to a law office for collections on their behalf.

It's possible they've owned the account for some time but couldn't put it back on your CR b/c they couldn't prove the inaccuracy that got it removed the first time.

When you PFD them on another account, it turned their light bulb on that said "Hey this person is obviously cleaning up their credit, and is willing to pay some old accounts. Let's send this letter from our attorney and see if they'll go ahead and pay, maybe they won't know we can't slap it back on their CR"

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

bobgr wrote:

HappyDays, the OC was Wachovia Bank, and I'm not sure why it dropped off.......... but the account itself was opened in 06 so I'm definitely still within the SOL etc

No CA (or OC) is reporting it on my CR FOR NOW, but I suspect that will change soon (they have to send the notification before they report right?)

I definitely agree with you that it makes absolutely no sense, how do I go about fighting this? I don't mind paying the debt, it's a small balance...........I just need to do it in such a way that it will not negatively affect me.

I also find the timing of this all very fishy since RJM just accepted my PFD from a different account...........

Barbags indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Send a DV  to RMJ.....it is up to them to notify the attorney........OR you can send it to the attorney. Either way they have to answer within 30 days.      When they do answer make sure that the info. is all correct.  Then send a PFD to the CA

Why the CA sent to an attorney could have to do with state law.....they might be ready to file suit  BUT you said that it was a small amount which doesn't make sense. But you never know.

The letter that you received was your notifcation.....you need to send the DV  within 30 days. Keep that POSTMARK  safe incase they try to report before 30 days.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 03-02-2008 07:23 PM

Message Edited by HappyDays on 03-02-2008 07:30 PM
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would it hurt to hit them BOTH with DVs?

Sidewinder, I'm thinking along those same lines........the games these people play!!!

Message Edited by bobgr on 03-02-2008 07:24 PM
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

No it wouldn't hurt.  re read my last message  I added to it.   send DV   CMRRR

Message Edited by HappyDays on 03-02-2008 07:31 PM
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

oops, missed that.....two HOT DVs coming up!!

The mention of a potential law suit scares the bejeezus out of me........the balance on this thing is $96!

I WANT to pay it just because I'm going through and cleaning up all my messes from the last 10 yrs, and I would feel much better knowing I don't have any skeletons lurking that could potentially hurt me at an inopportune'd time (looking to buy a car within the next month and a House within the next year)I just want to make sure I do it right.........

the PFD amount I sent to RJM on a different account was almost $400, it would seem crazy that they would sue for $100 bucks when they just collected ~4 times that amount by simply sending me a nice letter stating that they would delete if I sent them $$$$ (why can't all CAs be that easy)

Rant over, thanks for listening

Message Edited by bobgr on 03-02-2008 07:46 PM
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey I just noticed the "POSTMARK" does not have a date on it?

How can I prove when it was sent?
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.