cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've hit a brick wall...need help ASAP!!

tag
honeybrook1
Regular Contributor

I've hit a brick wall...need help ASAP!!

I'm at a standstill with my credit recovery.  I started out with the following:

TU    555
EX    583
EQ   646

As of 08/08/07, it was this:

TU    636
EX    616
EQ   656

I'm waiting to pull new FICO scores in September.  I've had some luck with several GW letters, I got a Midland Acct. that didn't belong to me deleted from EQ, I got a couple of low credit limits increased, I got incorrect person info deleted, and I got a TL that was incorrectly reporting that I was past due deleted from TU and EX (waiting to hear from EQ).  I attempted to dispute a Sears and LVNV account as being the same, along with an old HSBC and Midland acct. as being double reporting, but they all came back verified.  The Sears acct. shows charged off, bal. $0, same with HSBC.  Midland is paid off, but LVNV is on all 3 of my CR's reporting derogatory, 120 days past due.  I DV'd them (and I signed my name-didn't think about it until I read not to here:Smiley Sad, but I haven't heard anything yet.  I really need some help.  I'm wondering what my next move should be.  Here's my other info laid out:

Total accts:  31
                          Revolving   :  21
                          Install        :  10 (student loans, car, and the collection accts aforementioned)
                          Accts opened in
                          last year           :  0
                          Recent Inqs:  2 w/EX (disputing these as not authorized)
                          Ratio of rev. bal
                          to cls               :  80% (bulk is with the Sears/LVNV acct, trying to get the rest of my bals
                                                    paid off-the rest are at about 40-60%)
                          Oldest acct      :  19 years
                          Avg. age          :   11 (I think)
                          Derogs            :    4 (Sears, LVNV, HSBC, Midland)  Still disputing Midland because it's been
                                                     paid for over 2 years, yet EQ still reports as late 120 days

I had no luck disputing lates with Ford Credit, Spiegel, Cap One, Dillards, or GW'ing a collection with Apollo Credit for $52 (originally $13) that I paid as soon as I found out about it (back in 2002-didn't know about PFD then).  So far, no luck getting it removed.  I know I have quite a few accounts...about 13 open and 16 or 17 closed.  Would opening a couple of them back up help me, even though I have so many?  Is there anyone out there that can help me figure out where to go from here to help my scores increase? 

Message Edited by honeybrook1 on 09-03-2007 12:07 PM

Starting Score: 718
Current Score: 718
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I've hit a brick wall...need help ASAP!!

1.) If I'm reading your post correctly, you mentioned 80% util on your CCs. If it all possible lower your util on each CC as well as cumulative Util to <50%, <30% even better and <10% max FICO points . CLIs can help lower your util% but I wouldn't do it if requires hard inqs.

2.) Keep the GWs going, never give up! It's bound to get into the hands of someone who might just delete more lates and the paid collection.

3.) FYI, a collection account can be reported by both the OC and CA but not two CAs for the same account. Do you have proof you paid the midland collection? If yes, dispute again and attach it to your dispute to bolster your argument.

4.) how old are these lates payments and what was the DOFD with the collections? This is important to know cause I can give you a better idea on what might raise your scores more.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilization definitely will ding you...my utilization went up from 7% to 30% over the past couple months, and my FICO has slid about 20 to 25 points. It matters.
Message 3 of 10
honeybrook1
Regular Contributor

1)  On my open credit cards, my utility ranges somewhere between 30 and 50%.  I think they are mostly counting this Sears/LVNV acct-about $10, 400-where the OC amount was around $3000.  I'm working on paying my other cards down.

2)  I will definitely keep the GW's going.  I would love to get at least this Apollo Collection out the way.  It's only $52 and has been paid for 5 years.

3)  Yes, I do have proof the I paid the Midland acct off.  I did this with EQ to get the derog. status off of the acct., but they haven't responded at all (been about a month or so).

4)  I haven't been late on an acct. in over 4 years.  I take that back-I have 2 lates on Dillards from 2 1/2 years ago.  Other that that, I've been really good.  I'm in the process of disputing some 30-day lates that are over 4 years old. 

What are your suggestions?

Message 4 of 10
honeybrook1
Regular Contributor

Oh-DOFD for Apollo is listed as the same day that I paid it.  They sent me a letter, but I had just moved, so I never received it.  A gentleman called me and asked why I hadn't paid the $13 to the creditor, told them that I just assumed that my bank would resubmit the check, didn't know that they would just send it in as a bad collection.  This was 3 months later when the man called me...I sent payment out right away, yet they still kept it on my credit reports.  This was March of 2002.  I called about a month ago, and I was told that since it's over $50, it will remain on my reports.Smiley Sad

DOFD for LVNV is 2003, I believe.

Another question:  In writing a dispute to TU and EX to remove either the old HSBC or Midland account, they both removed a positive Providian TL instead.  Even with all my accounts, should I ask them to put it back on my reports?  Should I try to reopen some of my closed accounts like Radio Shack and Spiegel?

Message 5 of 10
honeybrook1
Regular Contributor

Anyone??Smiley Sad  Tuscani, any other heavyweights out there?

Message 6 of 10
honeybrook1
Regular Contributor

Well...a couple of changes-

My utility is actually 71% (I'm working on getting this down), and my average age is at 9 years.  Outside of paying down my cards, I don't think I have much options left.  I'm still waiting for some credit increases to update, sent a DV to LVNV almost a month ago (hopefully this was a positive step), and I'm thinking of asking Spiegel, Radio Shack, and Cap One to reopen my accounts (some years back, I asked them to close these, thinking it would be better).  My EQ has inched up to 660 as  of yesterday.  Will pull the other 2 later this month. 

I just read a post from someone who just got some TL's deleted by claiming the accounts were settled.  I will try this for HBSC/Midland and see where I get.  This has been PIF since 2005. 

Other than GWing a couple of other accts and waiting to see what LVNV will do, do you think that time is my only recourse? 

Message Edited by honeybrook1 on 09-04-2007 08:41 PM

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You really should focus on the deletions and then really, really focus on your util. 70 percent is way high- get it under 10 and you will see a difference after a couple months. Remember, a couple points jump here or there is normal- but anything besides pulling your credit and fi'nding out just about everything is wrong, getting all your baddies deleted and pulling your util down from 90 to 10 is the only way to see something like a HUGE jump.

After taking care of what you can take care of- just takes time. Time and history.

Get those utils down!!! Makes a big difference.

At 660 you are at my lowest score. I am 600, 671, and 677. Unless I can get to PFD's all I have to go on is getting CLI's and just taking time. I already have GW out for a 90 day late on student loan that keeps appearing as four when it is really one, but they way they break the loans out it shows as four.

Get those util's down!
Message 8 of 10
honeybrook1
Regular Contributor

Yeah, I have a final interview for a new job next week-I plan on concentrating on paying my debt down.  I'm going to fax letters concerning my disputes tomorrow, then hope I can get LVNV deleted.  These things hopefully will get in the 700 club soon.  I want to be able to qualify for a mortgage in a month or two. 

Thanks for your advice, everyone.Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
honeybrook1
Regular Contributor

Update-

Spiegel TL deleted, LVNV deleted, CapOne deleted all lates, Ford keeps saying "No", Dillards didn't understand what I was asking and reimbursed me a late fee from last year. Smiley Very Happy

Util down to 65%, Apollo Credit keeps coming back verified.  TU deleted my old, but good, closed AMEX TL by mistake (called them-said there's nothing they can do)..Smiley Mad  Waiting for GW results from Discover, Citi said to send in my credit report(?).  Probably not going to do this...

Got the job, but it didn't fit what I wanted to do, so still looking.

9/12/07  FICO                     10/29/07  FICO
TU:  647                              TU:  649 (TU score hurtin' because of AMEX drop!)
EQ:  662                             EQ:  674
EX:  636                              EX:  665

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.