Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to be a success story

tag
miskiss
New Contributor

I want to be a success story

Hello everyone:

I have been reading the threads here for almost two months now, and already I'm addicted!

My story:

I have been an eternal student, working my way through nursing school while raising my two children alone. I am also disabled but only to other people, my handicap will not get in my way now that I'm not going to let it.

So, now that I've graduated and have a better paying job (1 1/2 years as a Registered Nurse), I really need to work on my credit health! My credit was shot, just awful after a year on bedrest 7 years ago. I had two premature children and so I devoted my everything to them. We didn't have much of anything but we had plenty of love!!! I think my FICOs were around 460, just really bad.  All of my accounts maxed out and over the limit, closed, charged off. Nobody in their right mind would give me a credit card. I only applied for credit to get instant discounts at department stores even though I knew I would be declined. Before coming here, I had absolutely no idea about utility, inquiries, anything.

In January 07, I applied to Wells Fargo, and I was at last able to get a card, secured of course, but finally a card. My FICOs were around 560-603. Not great, but when you've been at the bottom any improvement is encouraging. Now that I've been reading I know that this is a result of old bad debt falling off the reports. I also have student loans on automatic payment so that is also helping, maybe?

I also got a small loan at a jewelry store in Jan 07. I didn't even want any jewelry, I just wanted someone to pay every month so I could send out a message, "I am worthy!!!"  And last but not least, when I applied to JC Penney to "get a discount" low and behold I was approved. I almost fell over. All of this in January. I'm not even sure what my scores were, I think they said high 500s.

When I first started reading this wonderful forum, I was using my credit cards regularly and PIF monthly, not even knowing that when they reported my balance it wouldn't reflect that. I was denied an auto loan in July. I had thought surely after making all of my payments on time for 6 months my score would be at least a little better, to get a used car. It's always a surprise when they have all of the information and you have none.

So now that I've read all of your advice, I just want to say thank you. Thank you so very much for sharing your experiences and knowledge. I have since signed up with Score Watch and True Credit so that I can monitor my reports. My utility is now at 9%, and Capital One has approved me for a card, subprime, yes, $45 annual fee, but much, much better than the other crazy expensive offers I've received. I'm going to follow your advice to a "T", and I WILL be a success story.

Watch and see!!!

Thank you!
Misti

10/3/07
EQ FICO: 611
TU FAKOs: TU 573; EX 613; EQ 612
11/2/2019: EQ 699, TU 649, EX 652. 6/15/2019: EQ 682, TU 621, EX 630 "The journey of a million miles begins with a single step"
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
oogiemoo
Regular Contributor

Re: I want to be a success story

Congrats on your improvements and many more are in your future I am sure. I wish you much success in your credit quest! Keep up the good work! I am sure very soon I will be reading about you in the success stories thread.
Message 2 of 6
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

Keep up the good work! Glad you're hereSmiley Very Happy
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perseverance and Patience is what it takes.  And not settleing for "no'.

Congrats on  your understanding - those scores will jump now.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Misti, that is so touching it brought tears to my eyes.

You must be a strong woman, empowered with the resolve to improve your quality of life, and you are doing so.

Very much, big congratulations! You are working the system to make the system work for you.

Have you ever considered of going to your bank, to take out small signature loan? Even if you don't need it, making regular payment on it, will show up on your CR, and invariably raise your scores. Your credit mix, comprise 10% of your FICO score. Just a thought. I've been thinking of doing just that. And put it in savings acct. and don't touch it. Just use those funds to pay the loan off. Smiley Happy

Good luck to you.
Message 5 of 6
miskiss
New Contributor

I just had to repost this here under my success story:

OH MY GOSH!!!

MY EQ FICO SCORE JUST JUMPED FROM 611 TO 633!!!

WOW!

I was so happy I dropped everything I was doing to call my mom and tell her.

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE!!!

NEXT GOAL:  660!!!

misti
11/2/2019: EQ 699, TU 649, EX 652. 6/15/2019: EQ 682, TU 621, EX 630 "The journey of a million miles begins with a single step"
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.