cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would love to hear a couple debt success stories!...

tag
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: I would love to hear a couple debt success stories!...

@Anonymous wrote:

Now I have a home, and good credit only because I was able to survive all of my idiocy.

You are in good company here.  Most of us have been there and done that.  Sometimes several done that's.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

In 2002, I found out my Business partner had been stealing from our Company..  He had disappeared with 3 years worth of our Tax returns, paperwork etc, because our Accountant had noticed some issues.

It turned out he had stolen more than $800,000 over a 3 year period.  At the same time, the dotcom crash happened and a bunch of my customers went out of business owing me well over $400K.

I visited our Accountant and he then proceeded to tell me that as well as stealing from me, my business partner had lied on the Corporate tax returns and I owed $300k+ to the Feds and Franchise Tax board.

Needless to say, I was utterly devastated by this whole thing.  It wiped me out and left me in so much debt and owing so much to the Tax authorities that I thought my life was over.  I was in a deep depression for 18 months.

Slowly, I gained back some of my inner fire and started rebuilding my business...  My credit scores were down in the low 500's at that point.. 530-540 on Experian, Transunion and Equifax.

Luckily, I still had one Credit card left that I had almost zero balance on that I had not maxed out and was still OK.  I paid every bill on time, I paid my credit card before the due date every month.  I opened a Bank Account and they gave me a credit card with a $300 limit.  I used it a few times a month, but paid it off every month, except for a couple of months, but I was never late.

At that time, my credit was about 570+  I decide to try and buy a Car and explained my predicament to the finance guy at the dealership.. Miraculously, I got a loan (at 22%) on the Car for a 48 month period.  I worked my ass off, saved my pennies and paid the Car off in 2 1/2 years.  My credit scores went to the low 600's.

Having paid the Car off, I requested an increase in my credit card limits and got them...  Still paying all my bills on time etc.

I also found an incorrect collections/paid on my Transunion credit report and challenged it.  Once that was dealt with my scores went up to the high 680's.

A couple of years passed and I got a Gold Card offer from AMEX, which I took up.  Scores went up to 711. 

Today, my EQ/TR/EX scores are in the 765 range and my FICO is 745...  I am aiming to get to 800 at some point... We shall see.

Looking back on the darkest days of my life, I could not possible have seen how well things have worked out for me today.  I am so glad that I kept beating my head against the wall, because that's what got me here.. dogged persistence and downright stubbornness...

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

BRAVO!!!!!!

Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.