Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ID SECURITY ALERT

tag
Migraine
New Contributor

ID SECURITY ALERT

When I disputed ,I received letters from all 3 CRA's worded differently but basically saying I requested a fraud alert.I didn't request so does that mean someone else did? I can't imagine why anybody would want my identity.Most of the errors were misspells of my name and medical collections that were supposed to be covered by insurance.

the alerts:

FRAUD VICTIM. "INITIAL ALERT". CONSUMER HAS REQUESTED AN ALERT BE PLACED ON THEIR CREDIT FILE. CONSUMER DID NOT PROVIDE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.ID SECURITY ALERT: FRAUDULENT APPLICATIONS MAY BE SUBMITTED IN MY NAME OR MY IDENTITY MAY HAVE BEEN USED WITHOUT MY CONSENT TO FRAUDULENTLY OBTAIN GOODS OR SERVICES.

also,does this make the dispute process longer than 30 days?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Eric958
Established Contributor

Re: ID SECURITY ALERT

It's possible your info was on a missing Lap top from your job or gov agency in the near past and they automatically put it on their for you. I received notice from the military awhile back that a lap top went missing with my info on it so they were required to put a fraud alert on my credit.Do you remember getting a notice similar to this in the pass year or so ? E!

Never Give Up!!
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most likely, one of the CRAs interpreted your dispute as related to fraud, even though you did not specifically state that, and initiated a fraud alert. Other people have reported the same thing has happened to them.

When one CRA applies a fraud alert, the other two CRAs are notified and apply a fraud alert as well. It is about the only thing that is shared by the CRAs.

Call each CRA, explain the situation, and follow their instructions for getting the FA removed.
Message 3 of 6
Migraine
New Contributor

Eric958 wrote: It's possible your info was on a missing Lap top from your job or gov agency in the near past and they automatically put it on their for you. I received notice from the military awhile back that a lap top went missing with my info on it so they were required to put a fraud alert on my credit.Do you remember getting a notice similar to this in the pass year or so ? E!
nope,this is the first time
Message 4 of 6
Migraine
New Contributor

Revike wrote: Most likely, one of the CRAs interpreted your dispute as related to fraud, even though you did not specifically state that, and initiated a fraud alert. Other people have reported the same thing has happened to them. When one CRA applies a fraud alert, the other two CRAs are notified and apply a fraud alert as well. It is about the only thing that is shared by the CRAs. Call each CRA, explain the situation, and follow their instructions for getting the FA removed.
I'll call them tomorrow as they may be closed today celebrating
Message 5 of 6
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

I disputed a balance once (back when I was less educated), and I got a FA.. LOL

Yet disputing accounts as not mine rarely triggers a FA.. go figure.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.