Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ID theft victim someone filed for unemployment in my name

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ID theft victim someone filed for unemployment in my name

Last week out of the blue I receive 3 letters from NJ Department of labor about my unemployment claim listing my current employer.  Having never filed for unemployment I was panicked.  Could they be letting me go, did my employer notify NJ Department of labor....

I looked closely and it seemed like it was legit except it had my old address.  I moved a few weeks ago.  

This particular threat seems squashed when I got through to HR and the NJ Dept of Labor but what else besides freezing my credit reports should i do?

I am a member of MyFICO and they have a identity fraud hotline 24 hours a day which is great but I've been on hold listening to Muzak for 90+ minutes.  

Do I need to file a police report?

Gotta say I am kind of upset with myFICO there are cheaper services and how is holding for 90 minutes plus a help?

I was on hold for almost 4 houyrs when I had to give up.  This is not acceptable customer service by myFICO.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
kimbersleep
Contributor

Re: ID theft victim someone filed for unemployment in my name

Here is a link to another post on MyFico about what to do if you are the victim of identity theft: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Victim-of-Identity-Theft-What-To-Do-to-Protect...
04/20/17 - Fico Score 8: EQ 695, TU 689, EX 728; Mortgage: EQ 731, TU 740, EX 815 [Starting Point on MyFico]
05/09/18 - Fico Score 8: EQ 827, TU 821, EX 811; Mortgage: EQ 815, TU 795, EX 822 [Latest MyFico 3B]
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: ID theft victim someone filed for unemployment in my name

I would begin by calling your current employer and ask whether they have any knowledge of the claim.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.