Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

IRS debt

My husband has been paying on a IRS installment plan for 8 years.  (his ex-wife did not file taxes while he owned his own business, and then filled innocent spouse)  

We are now receiving letters from the IRS stating we do not have an installment plan, then a letter showing us the balance of the installment plan and a break down of all the payment that have been paid over the past 8 years.  We have also been receiving collection notices from the IRS.

Our accts and mortgage are seperate because of his past tax issues.

Is there anything we can do now?  I have read so many different things that I am unsure what to believe.  He does have a tax lein on his credit.

Thank you

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: IRS debt

1) Do you have confirmation showing you have an approved payment plan? 2) You said you do have proof you are current on on your paymnets?  3) Have you or have you tried to file the failure to file  and failure to pay penalty abated?   

If you can show positive for 1 and 2 contact IRS Taxpayer Advocate Office with the proof and the notices.

#3 You will need to show reasonable cause to  get an abatement  This may or may not work  Results vary

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did he miss a payment or did an automatic debit bounce?

The IRS is good when it comes to setting up payment plans, but has little patience for this.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

He did not miss a payment or have one returned.

It started when he called to inquire what the balance was. They then said that they never accept a payment plan for the dollar Amy he is paying and wanted him to fill out another worksheet.
But we have proof of the installment paperwork and we have all the records of payments and the statements they used to send.
Had we never inquired about the amount left I don’t think they would be bothering us. It’s also frustrating that we get different letters saying different things from the IRS. It’s like no one there knows what the other is doing
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.