Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity Theft...Help Please!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Identity Theft...Help Please!

Hi again everyone.

I posted last week about a mortgage we were trying to get for a home we'd like to buy. Well, we got a mortgage and our offer for the home was accepted, which is great news.

In not so great news, I got word from one of the credit agencies I had sent a dispute letter to with regard to 2 collections on my account that did not belong to me. They deleted one of these (and my fico score went up 24 points!) but they said the other had been validated.

I did some digging and called the collection agency myself. The guy was really mean, but I told him honestly that I had never lived in Florida, and have not ever been a customer of Comcast (and by the way, I think I'm far from being alone in having problems with this company) and he asked for my social.  I gave it to him, and he told me yes, this is what's on file. He was very sympathetic and tried to get a supervisor on the phone with me, but they were in a meeting. I've been waiting for a call back from them since Thursday.

My question is this - do I call all the bureaus and report identity theft? How will that impact getting other mortgage bids? I can't hold things up as I'd love to get a better rate if I can and time is of the essence.

Any help would truly be appreciated. Thanks!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Put it in writing that you never lived in Florida and tha...

Put it in writing that you never lived in Florida and that the account is not yours.  Copy the FTC to get help on the ID theft and let them knwo you are copying the FTC. First problem is providing the SSN.  Collectors are sneaky, even if the SSN did not match their records, you have now provided them with your valid number.  Go to the original creditor and see how the account was originally opened and dispute it with them.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I might be really naive, but I do think he was being hone...

I might be really naive, but I do think he was being honest. His change in attitude didn't seem false, and he was saying "yeah, that's what I have" before I'd even finished with the number.

I just don't know how helpful this collection agency will be in removing the collection. I will absolutely take your advice - thank you very much. I must get this thing off my credit reports. I just didn't want to start an investigative process all over again that will take yet another month or so. But I suppose I don't have a choice. How I wish I had bought this kit months ago!!

Thanks again!
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you contacted the orignal creditor who sold it to th...

Have you contacted the orignal creditor who sold it to the collection agency?  Do that first and let them know that you are requesting verification of the debt since you never lived in Fla.  They shuld then send you all the pertinent info regarding the debt such as when it was opened etc...
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.