Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity Theft Victim - HELP!

tag
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Identity Theft Victim - HELP!

Hello everyone! First of all, I would like to say I am amazed that a forum exists with such credit educated individuals as yourselves. I hope that your wisdom can help point me in the correct direction with my current credit issues. I am not sure where to begin, so please forgive me for my long explanation if it seems like a rant.

I was born in 1979 and didn't start to build my credit history until later in my life, after I was nearly 20 years of age. I was never educated on the importance of credit and how it would have such effects on my future.

The ability to secure a car loan, renting (housing), gaining approval for a cellular phone and even with prospective employment. I truly believe that the current economy is directly being effected (for the worse) by the governments inability to properly teaching children the importance of credit and how to gain/maintain good credit. In any case, I made some mistakes at a young age and suffered terribly for it as I grew older. High interest rates on credit cards and car payments. Paying deposits for cell phone service and utilities.

But through the thick and thin, I still marched on and built a solid credit history. That is, until one day someone elected to STEAL it away from me. In early 2003 I had secured a great job in Newport Beach, CA working for a large technological company and as such needed to relocate for work justifications.

I had been introduced to a friend, of a friend, whom had a room available for rent and the price was too good to be true, so without hesitation I immediately took it when offered. I packed my belonging and relocated to sunny Huntington Beach, CA with visions of a great future ahead. I neglected to see the impending storm that was soon to follow....

My new roommate was a few years younger than myself (born in 1981), worked as a custom motorcycle builder/mechanic and seemed like an all-around good guy. We not only were roommates but also became good friends as well. Things seemed to be going great, work was fantastic and life was great!

Then one day (about 7 month after me moving in) he lost his job, I didn't worry as he "claimed" he had plenty of money saved and it was "no big deal, he would just get another job when he was ready". That night we went out to a few local bars and had a great night, talked about how this was a great opportunity for him to spread his wings and how fate, or destiny, may have smiled down on him and this should be considered a blessing.

A few days later, I returned home late on night after staying in the office late. To my surprise, EVERYTHING WAS GONE! All of my items, his items, everything. The house was bare!!! I immediately thought I must've walked into the neighbors apartment as this surely couldn't be OUR apartment. I remember chuckling to myself as I closed the door thinking, "What a doof you are Nick, you walked into the wrong apartment". Unfortunately, it was in fact OUR apartment and my roommate and "friend" cleaned me out.

This is where things get bad, worse, and then terrible....

I filed a police report and after contacting the front office I learned that my roommate had not been paying rent for the past few months so we were actually in the process of being evicted without me knowing. I explained to the office that I had been giving my roommate rent checks (made out to him)and provided the police department with copies of my checks specifically showing "rent" listed on them i the comments section.

Thankfully they didn't prosecute me or list the eviction on my credit, however they said I had to move along my merry way. This was agreeable and I sought housing at a local apartment complex near by that was very understanding and offered me one months free rent. Then the problems started..

I couldn't get approved for the apartment!? I insisted they were mistaken and had obviously inputted some incorrect information as my credit was flawless and I could not have been declined. After review my credit report with them it was obviously clear, someone had opened various credit accounts, maxed them, and never paid. These account had gone past 120 days late and had been charged off, sold to a new collection agency, and now my credit was damaged.

After talking to the various credit card companies and explaining to them my situation a few responded with the following style of letters... "This account has been established in your name, has been activated and used for purchases It adheres to the credit card agreement that was included with your initial mailing. As such, you are required to satisfy this debt." Suffice to say, things just continued to get worse and worse.

My old roommate used my ID to secure a new Drivers License and was issued multiple infractions on my record which eventually led to me getting pulled over and incarcerated for something I never committed! (These items have since been removed and I have a letter from the DA Office in Kern County, CA advising my old roommate was the party committing the fraudulent use of my identification and SS# and was currently in custody is the state of AZ serving time for other crimes)

In any case. None of the credit bureaus have helped in any regard and the creditors are even worse. My credit is ruined, I am currently a sub 500 score on all 3 trade lines.

I cant get a pot to piss in on credit, I am drowning in high rates, and don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. I have submitted a copious amount of paperwork to the bureaus. Police reports, a sealed/stamped/signed letter from the Kern County DA stating my identity has been compromised, I have requested copies of the paperwork to validate signatures.

But alas, I have gained no ground.

Currently there is 40k in student loans outstanding on my report. I have requested the MPN and verified its NOT my signature, yet the TU and EX wont remove them, EQ did and listed them as fraudulent. I requested copies of paperwork and contracts from other creditors and they only send me itemized statements, nothing with my signature on it.

There are other various credit card account that are listed as well, I assume I COULD pay them but why the F&*^ would I pay something that is not mine!? Thats ludicrous and I refuse!!

Someones help me!@ tell me what to do! Is there life after having your good credit destroyed!? I am living on a prayer here. There has got to be light at the end of the tunnel!

Message Edited by ngerasimatos on 02-23-2008 06:31 PM
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Identity Theft Victim - HELP!

I seen that alot of people have read your post but had not replied so i wanted to say hi and welcome you to the forums. I am sorry to hear about your terrible events and i am sure someone in the forums will have some advice for you. It seems to me that you are doin all that you can and just dont give up trying. 
I had two credit cards stolden from me from a woman who lived with me when she didnt have a place to stay. She would take them from my purse when i was sleeping and put them back so i didnt know anything was happening. When I discovered all the charges i immediatly went to the police station and filed a report and just as fast she was gone before i made it home. I still dont know how she knew i was writing a report. My credit card companys where very helpful and fixed the charges. As far as the police go..... She had stold other items from the house camera, video camera, leather jacket and so odds and ends so my father (who knew her) hunted her down and found her wearing the jacket. lol they had her in a hotel where she was crying and saying sorry. I called the police to tell them where she was and that she was admitting to using my cars and the thefts. They told me Her admitting to it ment nothing and the were not going to go to the hotel. I thought WOW amazing justice system. She was never convicted for any of it.
Anyway because of this exsperience i know how hard it could be just dealing with a fraud and yours is so much more. Just keep trying though.
Message 2 of 18
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the kind words.

I am just hoping someone here can help point me in the right direction to get this resolved.

The credit bureaus obviously don't seem to care, if they did in fact verify these items (as they claim) the items listed on my report they would see that my old roommate had used an incorrect DOB (12th instead of the 11th) on multiple accounts he opened, and that the signature obviously doesn't match!

Also, has anyone here ever used a company called Veracity? Are they good?

I spoke with a rep for them via the phone and he assured me he could help in my situation, but also said they make no guarantees about being able to get items deleted/corrected/removed.

Seems like they would just do what I have been doing all along, sending in dispute after dispute, after dispute... I'm sure you all get the picture.

Message Edited by ngerasimatos on 02-23-2008 06:59 PM

800+ Club
Message 3 of 18
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Holy Cow! I read your story. Sorry that happened to you. Read and Read here. There are other stories relating to ID theft. I'd use the search feature above. I'm inclined to say pull all three of your reports here and begin disputing. I'd also do it by mail and send a copy of everything you have to each CRA. IMO.
Message 4 of 18
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

@llecs wrote:
Holy Cow! I read your story. Sorry that happened to you. Read and Read here. There are other stories relating to ID theft. I'd use the search feature above. I'm inclined to say pull all three of your reports here and begin disputing. I'd also do it by mail and send a copy of everything you have to each CRA. IMO.

I pulled all 3 reports through here (which made me sad as all scores are in th high 490's). I also monitor through TrueCredit.com as well.

Disputing the erroneous accounts doesn't seem to be making any progress. Cant I just sue these people for defamation of character or something of that nature?

Message Edited by ngerasimatos on 02-23-2008 07:08 PM

800+ Club
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you read the FCRA?

There is VERY specific stuff about ID theft-
I would start there-

Can I assume you have Fraud Alerts an affidavit of fraud

Message 6 of 18
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Have you read the FCRA?

There is VERY specific stuff about ID theft-

I would start there-

Can I assume you have Fraud Alerts an affidavit of fraud

I have not read the entire FCRA, but bits and pieces as quoted to me to review.

I have filled out the FTC affidavit, but I personally think it doesn't help at all.

800+ Club
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

ng, reading your post brought me to tears. I feel so badly for you. Please do not give up hope. What an unbelievable horror story.

I googled identity theft and found something that MAY be of interest/use to you. I know absolutely nothing about these folks but maybe worth a careful read:

http://www.idtheftcenter.org/

Perhaps they have some resources that may steer you in the right direction.

In the meantime keep coming here and as suggested, read, read, read. You need to know YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

good luck to you.
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wish I could offer you more concrete advice.  I know little about this.  But yes, you can rebuild your credit although it has to absolutely hurt that you even have to do so.  Have you pressed charges against these people and/or filed a civil suit.  I would believe that you would win perhaps this will help budge the creditors.  I am just grasping at straws here.  Good luck with it!
Message 9 of 18
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

I have not filed a civil lawsuit against the individual because I no longer have any clue where he is located, so I would not have an address to be able to serve him papers.

Last I had heard he was in jail in AZ for various criminal issues, and the Kern County DA assured me they would be filing charges against him as well..

Besides, I doubt taking him to court would help unless he was able to pay fines/fees for damaging my credit and such. I would assume he has no money though as he has been in and out of jail.

800+ Club
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.