cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity theft

tag
Socalsd

Identity theft

I just received 2 alerts one form this past summer and onfrom yesterday in reagard to black market websites trading my personal e-mail address and password.  I change my password frequently.  What should one do? Is it likely they are trying with an old password?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Identity theft

I got a couple too. The "password" was obviously a temporary one generated by a website since it ended in something like BG==. The data was probably in a large block that got grabbed along with a few million other items and is sitting out there, similar to a mailing list. Unless you still have accounts somewhere with that password you're good.

If you haven't noticed any unusual activity you can pretty much ignore it, at least that's what I was told when I called in about it.

Message 2 of 3
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: Identity theft

@Anonymous wrote:

I got a couple too. The "password" was obviously a temporary one generated by a website since it ended in something like BG==. The data was probably in a large block that got grabbed along with a few million other items and is sitting out there, similar to a mailing list. Unless you still have accounts somewhere with that password you're good.

If you haven't noticed any unusual activity you can pretty much ignore it, at least that's what I was told when I called in about it.

That calms me a bit. Just got one this morning that happened a few days ago, password ends in +Q==. Makes no sense to me. I also feel better than my CRA are froze. At least the 5 bucks to freeze a report gives me piece of mind. Plus Gmail has two-step verification..that would stop them anyway, right? Thanks, I understand this thread is a few weeks old. 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.