cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I add someone as an authorized user to my credit card it shows up on their credit report??

tag
tim2
Contributor

If I add someone as an authorized user to my credit card it shows up on their credit report??

I added my daughter as an authorized user on my credit card.  Since it never asked for her SSN I assumed that it would not go on her credit report but I just pulled her report and it was on there.  No harm done - the account has never been paid late and I was wanting her to start establishing her credit anyway but I'm surprised that they could add it to her report without her SSN.  Anyone know anything about this?

Message Edited by tim2 on 04-16-2008 03:40 PM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If I add someone as an authorized user to my credit card it shows up on their credit report??

Yes, AU will have the account reflected on their report.

When FICO 08 goes into effect, AU status accounts will NOT be included in scoring.

Unclear when it will happen, have heard May, then it will be some time before lenders begin using FICO 08.

If you want her to keep the history you'll have to add her as a joint account holder.
Message 2 of 9
techgirl
Frequent Contributor

Re: If I add someone as an authorized user to my credit card it shows up on their credit report??

I had the same thing happen to my DH. Does that also mean that his util % is the same - do they count that as his debt and therefore hender him having one of his own??
05/12: approx 680 across the board
04/08 EQ: 730 TU: 748 EX: 718
03/08: EQ: 713 TU: ? EX: ?
12/07: EQ: 689 TU: 711 EX: 721
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

techgirl wrote:
I had the same thing happen to my DH. Does that also mean that his util % is the same - do they count that as his debt and therefore hender him having one of his own??

Yes, it counts on theirs just the same it does yours. Util for the card, late pays, everything. Even if you go delinquent, it will show on theirs.

However, his overall util may not be the same as yours......depends on what other cards he has not reported on yours and what other cards you have not reported on his.

As for hendering him having one of his own..........not sure what you mean there.......if you mean CC....you can have more than 1 CC.

Message Edited by sidewinder on 04-16-2008 04:02 PM
Message 4 of 9
techgirl
Frequent Contributor

I meant as far as Debt-to-income ratio... We have the same CCs on both of our accounts except for this one and I did an individual and added him as an AU so that he could get a card on his own - individual.  So, I don't know the $ amount they will want to give him if my card is showing up under his account. He will show as AU that he has $15,000 with BoA and the util is high because I just did a BT. If he decided to do a BT with the same amount.... I just wonder if they will then say no due to them being able to see that util being so high.... does that make sense?
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

techgirl wrote:
I meant as far as Debt-to-income ratio... We have the same CCs on both of our accounts except for this one and I did an individual and added him as an AU so that he could get a card on his own - individual.  So, I don't know the $ amount they will want to give him if my card is showing up under his account. He will show as AU that he has $15,000 with BoA and the util is high because I just did a BT. If he decided to do a BT with the same amount.... I just wonder if they will then say no due to them being able to see that util being so high.... does that make sense?

When your debt is shown on your CR, it is included. However, I don't know if the CCC take into account that it is just an AU card.

If he has other CCs why would he need to be an AU on this one to be able to get an individual card?
Message 6 of 9
tim2
Contributor

But wouldn't they need her SSN in order to post something to her credit report?  I never had to enter that in order to add her as an authorized user.
Message 7 of 9
techgirl
Frequent Contributor

I didn't either... They just asked me who I wanted to add on so that they would receive a card...
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tim2 wrote:
But wouldn't they need her SSN in order to post something to her credit report?  I never had to enter that in order to add her as an authorized user.

I imported my husband from Canada  Smiley Very Happy and he was an AU on one of my accounts when he was still living in Canada. About 2 months after he got his greencard and sparkly new social sec. # he had credit! I never gave my CC his #, as he didn't even have one when I made him AU. Go figure, he's been here 2 yrs now and has better fico than me, and was able to finance a car right out of the gate.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.