cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I stop paying medical insurance I could by a brand new Porsche!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I stop paying medical insurance I could by a brand new Porsche!

That's sad. Instead I'm driving an old sub compact (like in the credit commercial) to keep paying my medical insurance bills. The cost of health care is insane. Think about what you would do with your extra cash if medical were free? Don't worry I am keeping my medical. I don't know how old people pay for meds?
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If I stop paying medical insurance I could by a brand new Porsche!

And the credit angle is....?
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

None, just was trying to see if I could afford a new car and learned why I was stuck with my old car. Med rates went up. Had I continued my normal behaver with autos which I was always responsible with and could afford in the past, because of this I will not be able to afford an upgrade. Just another example of how live is becoming more expensive and regular behaver might have to be altered to stay on the same spending path.
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

medical insurance is outragious-

mine is more than 50% of my mortgage payment !!!!!!!!!!!
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is one of the things I am very grateful for from the US Marine Corps. It may not always be the best medical care (although I've had great experiences for the msot part) but it is free as are any prescriptions we get filled at the Military pharmacy

My Mom lives with us and has no medical insurance, her medical bills and medicines are very expensive.
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

OMG...I just finished watching the commercial and still laughing! LOL And yes, medical insurance is absolutely INSANE. On my old job, I elected not to have it, and they paid me a certain amount. I do visit my doctor regularly, but, for me, it works out to be less expensive for me to NOT have insurance, so, I do not. Now, within the next few years, that may just change...
Message 6 of 19
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I know its not cheap. As a biz owner I also act as the health plan admin. I see the rates our employees pay. We have some employees who payroll checks are cut by 50% because of health. Some of them opt out just because of the cost, even though we pay half of their premiums. On the flip-side, we are close to a number of prominent doctors here in the DC area and many of them are leaving practice just because their costs are too high. The biggest complaints are malpractice premiums and managed care (health ins. co's are only paying back pennies on the dollar for care). It is only going to get worse, not better.

To save, we switched our employees to a HRA - cut costs by 40%.

But don't cancel.....I had no health ins. for a couple of years prior to getting married. I was in great health and had no problems. Then, I decided to get insurance. Glad I did. Within a couple of months, I had appendicitis. The operation was over $12k, but insurance covered all but $50 (emergency room visit). And this was over 10 years ago. I can only imagine what it could have done to our finances.
Message 7 of 19
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I'm looking at ways to cut costs...more savings = more financial responsibility. 

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cali-
Why doesn't your husband sign her up as a dependent??
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

We've tried that twice alreayd and they've said no both times (and the 15 pages of paperwork each time made us all crazy). The first time b/c she had some money and the last time b/c she had just gotten a job and now she's got a job again. SHe's eligible for Medicare soon so that'll help her quite a bit.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.