cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If an account is closed with a balance, does FICO still take into account limit to balance?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

If an account is closed with a balance, does FICO still take into account limit to balance?

On a closed by grantor, will it make any difference what the balance is, like it would to an open account?  My 2 closed accounts still report a CL with available credit, but they are closed by the grantor.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If an account is closed with a balance, does FICO still take into account limit to balance?

Closed revolving accounts still factor into Utilization until the balance is zero.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If an account is closed with a balance, does FICO still take into account limit to balance?

Utilization... that's the word I was trying to remember!

Thanks for the reply!
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

stress83 wrote:
On a closed by grantor, will it make any difference what the balance is, like it would to an open account?  My 2 closed accounts still report a CL with available credit, but they are closed by the grantor.

Closed accounts do not help UTIL.  The only part that counts is the amount OWED. CL on closed accounts does not count toward UTIL.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

WRONG

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
On a closed by grantor, will it make any difference what the balance is, like it would to an open account? My 2 closed accounts still report a CL with available credit, but they are closed by the grantor.

Closed accounts do not help UTIL. The only part that counts is the amount OWED. CL on closed accounts does not count toward UTIL.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

These accounts are still reporting a CL (on their own websites adn FICO), that is why I'm thinking they are counting UTL.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Because they are.

They will until your balance is zero.

@Anonymous wrote:
These accounts are still reporting a CL (on their own websites adn FICO), that is why I'm thinking they are counting UTL.

Message 7 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
WRONG

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
On a closed by grantor, will it make any difference what the balance is, like it would to an open account? My 2 closed accounts still report a CL with available credit, but they are closed by the grantor.

Closed accounts do not help UTIL. The only part that counts is the amount OWED. CL on closed accounts does not count toward UTIL.

RIGHT!!!Smiley Tongue
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am looking at my credit reports that I have taken directly from the three CRA's.  I have two revolving in a closed status with a balance due and one open with a balance below 50%.  My UTL's are only reflecting the open accounts balance owed and CL.  And the percentage indicated is correct for the open account.  If the other two closed accounts were reflected, the UTL percentage would be alot higher.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.