Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If the OC still owns the debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the OC still owns the debt

If the OC still owns the debt, but the CA is contacting trying to collect, I know it is better to deal with the OC directly? I want to pay the debt (old medical bill ) but the CA who I have PFD'd will not respond. If I pay the OC directly, how do I have the collection removed from my credit reports?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If the OC still owns the debt

My only success on 2 similar collections, both meds, was by negotiating ONLY with the hospital, since the hospital still owns the account.

I simply called them(not the recommended thing to do, but that's what I did).

After reviewing with the csr, I offered to pay in full, with a cashier's check IF and ONLY if they would delete the entire collection history from my credit reports.

The csr checked with the head of the department, then e-mailed me 2 days later agreeing to my terms, which included giving me an original duplicate, on hospital letterhead, of the letter to the CA instructing them to delete the record from my report. They agreed.

The csr gave me the letter to review, and I gave her my cashiers check.

45 days later 2 collections were deleted from my CR's.

Good luck to you
Message 2 of 5
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

With any debt, when you PFD with the OC that has them agree to stop CA activity.  Also, since you at that point do not owe the CA any debt, it is obsolete.

Medical debt is easier to take care of... so don't deal with the CA other than to DV after you have PFD'd the OC if necessary.

Also, search this forum and google for 'whychat hipaa', as you also might have certain HIPAA rights to help this get cleared up.

It will be easy.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. I am on my way to cleaning this up and will keep you informed.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there exact wording I should use to help the OC craft a letter I can use to disput with CRA if this does not go as planned?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.