cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If there is about a ten cent (on avg) cost for credit per gallon, why use CC at gas station at all?

tag
Khalifa_Jayy
Regular Contributor

If there is about a ten cent (on avg) cost for credit per gallon, why use CC at gas station at all?

I can't imagine that a Credit Card out there manages to give you enough rewards to offset $.10 per gallon. Maybe I'm too lazy to do the math 😁, but there's no way you can come put on top compared to cash right?

(California if it makes a difference)
TOTAL CREDIT LIMIT:
FICO:
CREDIT AGE:

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
washpadude
Regular Contributor

Re: If there is about a ten cent (on avg) cost for credit per gallon, why use CC at gas station at a

@Khalifa_Jayy wrote:
I can't imagine that a Credit Card out there manages to give you enough rewards to offset $.10 per gallon. Maybe I'm too lazy to do the math 😁, but there's no way you can come put on top compared to cash right?

It does make a difference, in Pennsylvania cash and credit are almost always the same price.

BK CH7 Discharged 03/2015
FICO8 EQ-657 TU-657 EX-665
Revolving credit lines 125k.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If there is about a ten cent (on avg) cost for credit per gallon, why use CC at gas station at a

Here are some reasons why a person might want to use a credit card:

* He needs gas and doesn't have cash on him. 

* The cheapest gas stations in his area do not offer a cash-only discount.  (True for me: QuikTrip is cheaper substantially, offers no cash discount, and there are a lot of QTs near me, plus I can get free air for my tires there.)

* He's thought about it and has decided that the amount he will save is not worth the hassle of cash.  The hassle here is twofold:

(a) He will have to make sure he is periodically going to ATMs or a bank to get cash

(b) He will have to stand in line in front of a human teller to pay for the gas, which will take extra time.

But let's assume that he doesn't mind the hassle, and that most or all of the cheap gas stations near him have an additional cash-only discount, and that he always has plenty of cash in his wallet.  Then there's the issue of the price difference, i.e. which is better?

If you have a 3% cash back card, which is very common for gas, then it depends on how much the discount is and how much the current price of gas is.  If the discount is 10 cents, and the current price is $3/gallon, then you just barely eak out a penny per gallon advantage with the cash purchase.

But if the price per gallon is higher, or the cash discount is less (in a recent trip I took it was 5 cents) or you have a better card (there are 5% cashback cards for gas) then the credit card makes more sense.

Message 3 of 7
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

At Wawa, using their credit card gets you 5 cents a gal back, otherwise cash and charge is the same price. At BJ's you get 10 cents off a gal for using the BJ's card, otrherwise cash/charge are the same. Sams and Costco offer similar deals. at Walmart gas stations the discount is 5 cents to 15 cents depending on the time of the year, othwise cash/charge is the same. As far as branded gas say Exxon, BP, etc there is a discount for using their card and while most (that I've seen) don't offer a cash distound, they do charge more for a bank card purchase. 

So, YMMV....

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most gas stations (that I go to at least) do not charge extra for credit. I use Costco, Chevron etc. This is not a car forum but IMO lower tier stations like ARCO and others usually charge extra for credit. 

Message 5 of 7
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Luckily all of the gas stations in my area charge the same for either cash or credit.
Message 6 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Khalifa_Jayy wrote:

1. I find it much more convenient than going into the gas station office and paying cash.

2. I find it more convenient than a debit card because I don't like to mess up my checking account. Sometimes they put large holds on debit cards which could screw up my checking account. I almost never use a debit card for spending.

3. I have several rewards cards that give me 3% cash back on gas, which for me comes out to around 7.5 cents a gallon, which takes care of most of the surcharge.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.