cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you REALLY want to know how a CRA deals with your dispute.....

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: If you REALLY want to know how a CRA deals with your dispute.....

@Anonymous wrote:
First, as we use services to try to dispute our credit reports - we often generate more profit for them. They profit from the inaccuracies.

Well, I'm not sure what services you're referring to --the CRA's maybe? (Credit reporting agencies, aka the credit bureaus.) They don't make any money off of our disputes; if anything, they lose money, because they have to pretend to do something.

Now if you're talking about businesses who supposedly fix your credit in exchange for your money, yes, you're right. In the overwhelming majority of cases, that's just an awful idea, and one that we NEVER recommend around here. The only semi-exceptions would be when you absolutely have to have an honest-to-God attorney to represent you (and that's not a credit repair business), or for the very few people who are so overwhelmed that they simply must have assistance, a debt management program that is under the umbrella of a community services organization like the United Way. And even they often make payments late and in other ways make things even worse than they were before.

And as for the customer service observation, I agree --unfortunately, the minority of US companies with excellent service stand in stark contrast to the rest of the crowd. As a consumer, I make sure to praise the good when I find it, and when there is inept, rude, or generally inefficient service, I gently let their management know my opinion, and that I will be taking my business elsewhere. And then I do! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 21 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If you REALLY want to know how a CRA deals with your dispute.....

Well, I'm not sure what services you're referring to --the CRA's maybe? (Credit reporting agencies, aka the credit bureaus.) They don't make any money off of our disputes; if anything, they lose money, because they have to pretend to do something.

When people buy their credit reports online outside of the free yearly reports, the CRAs are then making money.
Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.