cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you have a store charge/credit card, can it report twice?

tag
chryanna
New Contributor

If you have a store charge/credit card, can it report twice?

I have a Macy's Visa. My store limit was always identical with my credit limit; it was the same physical card and I made one payment. But on my credit report, they have two separate account numbers and I get both the Macy's DSNB and the Visa DSNB (and they both have different information). Is this legit? Anything I can do about it?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: If you have a store charge/credit card, can it report twice?

@chryanna wrote:

I have a Macy's Visa. My store limit was always identical with my credit limit; it was the same physical card and I made one payment. But on my credit report, they have two separate account numbers and I get both the Macy's DSNB and the Visa DSNB (and they both have different information). Is this legit? Anything I can do about it?

Macy's is weird.    They have done odd things with their "purchase accounts" splitting off from the main charge account.

It's not necessarily bad that you have two accounts showing instead of one ~ IMO it's good unless there are negatives showing or unless having two accounts significantly lowers your AAoA.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
chryanna
New Contributor

Unfortunately, my Macy's card is my one remaining negative account. And both the Visa and the store card are reporting negatively, though in different ways (my Visa records different late dates and the Visa does not report a C/O of $128 while the store card does.) I am 100% confident that these are from the same card and that one credit pull was used to get the card.

But now my one bad account looks like two, and I'm not sure what, if anything I can do about it.  It's also problematic that there are inconsistencies in the reporting. I don't think I can go back and reconstruct which, if either, is correct.

Message 3 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

That's not good ~ have you tried contacting them to see if they can either GW some of the lates or remove one or both of the negative accounts ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 7
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@chryanna wrote:

The Macy's Visa (now the Macy's American Express) is strange indeed, and it took a while for me to understand what was going on.  Basically, it's two credit accounts in one - there's the Macy's tradeline and a separate Visa/Amex tradeline.  As you've discovered, there are different account numbers and different entries in one's credit report.  In many cases (but not yours), the CL on the accounts are different.

Whenever you use your card at a Macy's, it automatically gets charged to the Macy's tradeline.  If you use it to buy gas or groceries or clothes at Bloomingdale's, it goes on the American Express account.

Now here's the thing: my Macy's Visa/Amex card has always generated two distinct monthly statement that had to be paid separately.  This was a great source of confusion to me, because I would get two billing statements within days of each other.  At first I was using the card exclusively at Macy's, so only one statement had a balance.  But when I started using it at other retailers, then both statements would have balances.  At first I only paid one statement, thinking that there was just something quirky going on with the billing, but then I realized that not all the charges that I had made during the billing cycle were on the statement that I paid.  So I paid the other statement.

You mentioned that you only make one payment a month.  I wonder whether your derogatories are there because only one of the two tradelines was actually being paid?  That's what nearly happened to me, and I can imagine that it happens to other people as well.

In any case, yes, the reporting is legitimate, so there's nothing that can be changed about it.  Like pizzadude suggested, you could try to ask Macy's to GW the negative reporting, especially in light of the confusion about the two separate accounts.

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would send them a direct dispute, with the asserted inaccuracy being the duplicate reporting of adverse information.

That puts them under a 30-day period to provide verification of the accuracy of this type of duplicate reporting.

Message 6 of 7
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

I would send them a direct dispute, with the asserted inaccuracy being the duplicate reporting of adverse information.

That puts them under a 30-day period to provide verification of the accuracy of this type of duplicate reporting.

Technically, there isn't duplicate reporting.  The OP said that the negative remarks are different between the Macy's tradeline and the Visa tradeline.  Different derogatories are being reported on each account.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.