Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you knew then what you know now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If you knew then what you know now?

I wish the Internet existed when I was 18. Smiley LOL

I realize what I was working against this Thanksgiving.  My Mother announces at the table, "I've earned (several) hundred from my cash back card!"  Oh really, how's that so? Delves the Bu Yao.  "I've got that US Bank Card."  What card is that, Ma? "I get ONE PERCENT cash back!"  She beams.

Of course I was a #%^* child and replied "Ma, your scores and history can get better rewards than THAT!" And listed a slew of 1.5-5% cards we all know about here.

I wish the Internet existed when I was 18. It is my source to a cacophony of information outside my surroundings.  I love my Ma, and I wish I would have studied FINANCE.

Message 11 of 17
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wish the Internet existed when I was 18. Smiley LOL

I realize what I was working against this Thanksgiving.  My Mother announces at the table, "I've earned (several) hundred from my cash back card!"  Oh really, how's that so? Delves the Bu Yao.  "I've got that US Bank Card."  What card is that, Ma? "I get ONE PERCENT cash back!"  She beams.

Of course I was a #%^* child and replied "Ma, your scores and history can get better rewards than THAT!" And listed a slew of 1.5-5% cards we all know about here.

I wish the Internet existed when I was 18. It is my source to a cacophony of information outside my surroundings.  I love my Ma, and I wish I would have studied FINANCE.

No doubt. Nothing to tell me applying for credit cards after credit cards and getting declined was bad for ya. I also wish there was someone who knew I had a card so they could tell me "You know you have to pay that back." 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on how far back "then" goes.....

Message 13 of 17
Grafton88
Established Contributor

#1 I wish MyFICO had been around when I was younger.

#2 I wish I had set up a financial plan when I was younger.  When you set up a plan you have to set goals.  Those goals help you focus on your real needs and not just some momentary got-to-have.  Think of all the things you got that are now sitting in the closet.

One thing that I appreciate is that life sometimes gives you second chances.  I am going to take that second chance and run with it.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I definitely would have started building my credit earlier! I knew enough to get a credit card in college to start establishing history, but after an unpleasant situation with a relative stealing my identity, I decided the whole system was dangerous and evil, stopped using that card entirely, and didn't touch credit again for years--I wasn't entirely wrong there, but I was wrong to think I could opt out of that system without it being a problem down the road! It wasn't until 6 years later (less than 2 years ago) that I got a new credit card and started using it correctly. All in all it could have gone a lot worse, but if I'd had the foresight to open a few other accounts back then and keep them open, my AAoA would be much higher and more resilient than it is now.

Message 15 of 17
nawhop
Valued Member

OMG, UncleB, you sounded just like me. That's exactly how I was before and that now I am also almost obsessed with PIF and collecting cash backs and rebates. Also started gardening before going for a CC app spreed as well. LOL.  I just started to rebuild my credit scores recently when I tried to get a mortgage and had a horrible experience with it. Wished I learned about this site earlier.

Starting score 03/01/2015 EQ 693 TU 705 EX 732
Goal Score FICO08 : the 800 clubs
Mortgage app HP 04/20/2015
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

GOOD for you and keep up the good work!!

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.