Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving my score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Improving my score

Hi there, I recently applied for a mortgage with my husband. I have an "great" score but my husband has a "not good" rating so we are probably going to try to put everything in my name. I want to try to bring up my score even higher, if possible. When I go to myfico, it says that I have 63 accounts which may be hurting my score. Most of the accounts have been closed for some time but still appear on the report. Can I get them removed? How do I do that? And will removing them hurt my score at all? Thanks in advance! Michelle
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Improving my score

removing closed, in good-standing, old accounts can hurt your age of credit and impact your score (age of credit is 10% of score)

Leave them alone if in good standing, if a paid collection try to GW it off.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was thinking of removing the ones that were newer and leaving approx 2 per year for each of the 14 years I've had credit established. Whattaya think? Not worth doing? It would leave me with about 1/2 of the 65. And if I did, how would I do that?
Message 3 of 4
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

CrazyCredit wrote:
I was thinking of removing the ones that were newer and leaving approx 2 per year for each of the 14 years I've had credit established. Whattaya think? Not worth doing? It would leave me with about 1/2 of the 65. And if I did, how would I do that?

You can't really remove accounts.  They stay on for 10 years after they are closed, then drop off
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.