Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Too Deep?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

In Too Deep?

Hi all,

This is my first post.  I've looked at many posts regarding this topic, but would like some feedback on my situation if possible.  Here's what's going on:  Through a recent divorce and hospitalization, I have defaulted on about 12 credit cards to the tune of about $75,000.  They have all been written off as bad debt and are all about 7 months old.  My scores range from 480 to 525.  I have a couple current accounts (car and a personal loan).  I would like to buy a house at some point.  My income is good.  I calculated it will take me between 3-4 years to negotiate all these assuming a 40% (average) settlement percentage with letters from the agencies/CC companies stating the accounts will show as "settled in full" or "settled for less than owed" with a zero balance.  None would agree to delete.  Should I pay these off in order to secure a mortgage 3-4 years from now?  Is this the best course of action?  Will it work?  Or, should I save the money and ride them all out for 7 years?  I don't like the idea of the latter, as I do owe the money, and I don't want to wait that long.

Does anyone have any comments/advise?

Thanks all!

McLovin
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: In Too Deep?

Welcome-

You need to look at all of your options:
Credit counseling, DMS, Debt settlement, BK

I would start with a financial advisor-  

McLovin wrote:
Hi all,

This is my first post.  I've looked at many posts regarding this topic, but would like some feedback on my situation if possible.  Here's what's going on:  Through a recent divorce and hospitalization, I have defaulted on about 12 credit cards to the tune of about $75,000.  They have all been written off as bad debt and are all about 7 months old.  My scores range from 480 to 525.  I have a couple current accounts (car and a personal loan).  I would like to buy a house at some point.  My income is good.  I calculated it will take me between 3-4 years to negotiate all these assuming a 40% (average) settlement percentage with letters from the agencies/CC companies stating the accounts will show as "settled in full" or "settled for less than owed" with a zero balance.  None would agree to delete.  Should I pay these off in order to secure a mortgage 3-4 years from now?  Is this the best course of action?  Will it work?  Or, should I save the money and ride them all out for 7 years?  I don't like the idea of the latter, as I do owe the money, and I don't want to wait that long.

Does anyone have any comments/advise?

Thanks all!

McLovin

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: In Too Deep?

" Or, should I save the money and ride them all out for 7 years?  I don't like the idea of the latter, as I do owe the money, and I don't want to wait that long. Or, should I save the money and ride them all out for 7 years?  I don't like the idea of the latter, as I do owe the money, and I don't want to wait that long."

A: Good attitude.
B: Risky. They very well may sue you.
Personally, I would call each cc (if you haven't already), explain the situation, and set up a payment plan that you can comfortably pay.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.