Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect address on EX

tag
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Incorrect address on EX

I was looking through my EX report (free annual one) and I noticed that in the section that has past addresses listed, there are two additional incorrect versions of my current address listed. One doesn't have an apartment number and the other has an incorrect apartment number (off by one digit, like 1078 instead of 1088). American Express was the only new account added and incidentally, AMEX does not show the apartment number in the address on their site ("security" feature?) So I called them and they verified that they have the complete and full address. I have also since received statements from them at the correct address.

Is this something to be bothered about? Do I need to contact Experian to have that fixed? My main address that shows up does not have that error. I do not know if EQ and TU also have that error listed since their reports do not refresh. I have USAA CMS and it shows my main address is fine across the 3 (welll, may be "Ave" for "Avenue" is listed as "Av" on TU, but otherwise it is fine) but it doesn't show past addresses, which is where the EX report shows the incorrect versions.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Incorrect address on EX

Not really to my knowledge, I've read some FUD regarding mixed up addresses on there; you can easily dispute them if the lender has already corrected it; however, if the lender still has the bogus address, it'll just get re-listed.

At least for me, as long as my bills reach me appropriately, I don't really care Smiley Wink.

        
Message 2 of 7
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

AFAIK, no lender has it incorrect.

EX lists additional incorrect ones and TU doesn't have direction marker for the street e.g., "Main St" instead of "W Main St". Can't believe anybody would be typing it manually, but they look like typos.

My addresses are good with all lenders (I get mail from them properly) - they're just off in those locations at the CRA.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 3 of 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

What Experian can tell you how is reportting the incorrect addresses. Once you know that you can correct the problem with who is reporting that address.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 7
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Really. Can I talk to these people or do I have to write snail mail to them? I know they sort of run our lives but they seem kind of secret and unapproachable!

Message 5 of 7
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

In your report directly from Experian (not a CMS report) you should find codes next to each address being reported. Within the accounts section you will find matching codes which will tell you the creditor reporting. If you do not find a matching code in the accounts section then it is a left over from an old creditor. If you dispute and request removal it will be gone.

If it is from a current creditor it will simply reappear the next time they report. The one you need to contact is the creditor reporting the incorrect information. Not the credit bureau. Hope this helps.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 7
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

In your report directly from Experian (not a CMS report) you should find codes next to each address being reported. Within the accounts section you will find matching codes which will tell you the creditor reporting. If you do not find a matching code in the accounts section then it is a left over from an old creditor. If you dispute and request removal it will be gone.

If it is from a current creditor it will simply reappear the next time they report. The one you need to contact is the creditor reporting the incorrect information. Not the credit bureau. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, HoldingOntoHope. I checked the actual EX report. The codes from the incorrect and incomplete addresses don't match any of the accounts listed. The accounts all have the address code which is complete and accurate. This leaves me rather puzzled. Smiley Frustrated Good to match the codes though. Thanks for that info!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.