cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

India call centers... finally some good news!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

India call centers... finally some good news!

We've all experienced them... we call the customer service number on the back of our cards or on our statements and after going through the silly voice prompts and/or pushing the stupid buttons, we reach "Steve" or "Sally" in India.

We then struggle to understand each other, "Steve" or "Sally" can't seem to understand your sense of urgency and they can really do no more than read from a script that tells them to say "I understand your frustration"... we get no where.

Now we can do something about it.

First, always ask the answering rep "are you located in the United States" and if they won't answer "due to security reasons" then...

Second, request to be transferred to a United States supervisor. If they somehow balk at that, then...

Third, ask to speak with their immediate supervisor. If they hesitate, just simply state that you will wait while they get one, then...

Fourth, when that supervisor comes on the line, request again that your call be transferred back to a United States supervisor.

Here are the facts: every call center I've ever reached can do this. They might not admit to it at first, but they have all been able to route me back to America to speak with someone here.

Another fact: the reps in India always give out a fake name, most of them make $200-$400 per month or less, and they really have no authority to do anything other than simply look at a screen and tell you what it says about your account. Hey, I'm sure they're good people, but it's just plain common sense... they don't have our sense of urgency and they don't have a knack for "think outside the box" customer service.

Last fact: American companies are getting the message loud and clear. They're getting reports that overseas call centers are bad news, and that consumers are fed up with playing the phone game. Dell Computers closed their India operations. JC Penney Credit Card Services got the message, too. Others are following. The more we DON'T conduct business with overseas call centers, the more we request to speak with American call centers instead, the louder our voice becomes and the sooner we'll actually reach a LIVE person in the United States.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: India call centers... finally some good news!

Makes too much sense. Don't like sitar music Hawk?
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credithawk,

I don't want to start something, just a question. When did Dell close their India call centers?  I just had a huge problem with them buying a personal computer and only spoke with and was consistently transferred to India. I tried and tried and could not get someone in the US.  This was just last week.  I sure hope that they do close them, because I got no satisfaction and they lost my business because of it.  Just curious...TIA
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Credithawk,
I don't want to start something, just a question. When did Dell close their India call centers? I just had a huge problem with them buying a personal computer and only spoke with and was consistently transferred to India. I tried and tried and could not get someone in the US. This was just last week. I sure hope that they do close them, because I got no satisfaction and they lost my business because of it. Just curious...TIA

I think CLOSING is a better way of putting it. They still have overflow going overseas.
Their XPS line is all handled in a 24 hour call center in Arizona- my brother works for them.

Dell will be building/buying a huge call center soon in the US (possibly Glendale AZ)
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, that is good news.  I hope other companies get the message too.  It's just outrageous when you can't speak with someone in your own country when you have an issue with something and you only get scripted responses....
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this info.  I do ask the CSRs where they are located, and they always tell me.  I try to take a lighter approach because they get abused pretty regularly.   "Hey, it's 11 pm over here in the States, what time is it where you are?  What's the weather like right now in Singapore?" 

But I agree it is maddening when neither of us can understand each other.  I am reasonably tech savvy, but saying "push the what button?  the what button?" a million times drives me nuts. 

Edited to fix speeling misteak

Message Edited by masdeocho on 06-20-2007 12:27 PM
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I prefer to keep the jobs here in the USA because we don't have enough jobs available. But to tackle the problem over seas. It is not an India, Phili, problem. It is cheap labor. I have delt with Cisco and Microsoft call centers over seas and they are fine. If the companies have *well trained* people with the power to do things and a salary to be happy, and the power to do things again, things do get done. What do you expect for $2-$5 per hour. I don't think they could do any better getting Americans as qualified for that salary. I'd rather wait 20 minutes on hold than talk to someone who can't do anything. We need more skilled people with authority to make changes, not more people to read scripts. The companies know if you call and get scripts enough many people will give up! That's part of the plan I think.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.