Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiries !!!

tag
felyasocal
New Contributor

Inquiries !!!

Good Morning Everyone and Thank You in Advance!

So my wife has 3 inquiries on her credit report

1. Verizon Wireless

2. Landlord verification for when she rented (2 entries)

The Verizon Wireless inquiry is total crap. She was getting a phone at their store. Filled out the application with the rep using their iPad. Then right before the confirmation, their iPad crashed and we had to resort to doing it through my credit. Verizon assured me that there will be no inquiry on her credit, but there is on. What can I do? Should I contact Verizon? (they have been less than helpful so far) or should I contact the Credit Beaurau??? 

In regarding the landlord verification, these 2 entries were ran by a shady landlord who basically wanted to collect the money for running her credit, but had no intention of renting out the unit. What can I do in this case?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Felix 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
tufa4311
Established Contributor

Re: Inquiries !!!

For Verizon, if they did not have your permission and did not have "permissible purpose" via FCRA 604 (google it) then it is legitimately disputable, you will have to file a Direct Dispute with the CRA in question - at this point Verizon is not the party to deal with.

For the landlord - same reference but I believe FCRA 604 would give permissble purpose to the landlord as there was "a legitimate need for the information in connection with a business transaction that is initiated by the consumer." You did apply for the property, correct?

With regard to intent - not an easy thing to prove what is in someone's mind. You could attempt to dispute it based on intent but without evidence I don't see it going far - and even if it did go "that" far the amount of time it would most likely take to go through the process, thus lessoning the effect the inquiry on your score, would probably not be worth the time and effort. Perhaps a lesson learned to be more careful - it's pretty likely you could spot a "shady" landlord a mile a way.

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 2 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If she was applying for serivce in her name, there would be permissible purpose as a business transaction initiated by the consumer.

Are you basing your contention that it was not a legitimate inquiry on the fact that they apparently did not receive her credit report?

If the CRA is showing an inquiry, then they apparently are stating that they filled the request.....

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

At Verizon they check credit.

I used to work there last year.

If you are getting a phone in your name we check your credit.

Its in the contract she signed.

Message 4 of 9
felyasocal
New Contributor

Yes, I know they check credit. If you read my original comment, they were not able to run her credit because of them having a technical issue with their equipment and ended just using my account, which was already established, instead. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They attepted to pull her credit because she was opeing an acct.

It pulled her credit but the ipad failed to continue the transaction. (happens all the time)

They could of continued with application ID on a PC terminal

Im sorry you had the issue

Message 6 of 9
felyasocal
New Contributor

They did continue and their system would fail time and time again. They tried three times and it wouldn't give an answer. While actually running her credit. We needed to get the phone so since the account was under my name, we just decided to keep it under my name. The sales person assured us that there will not be a hard inquiry. I guess its pointless now. Verizon doesn't give a crap, Credit Bureaus don't give a damn either. This whole system is stupid. No other country has such a bad system where people are punished like little children for even the slightest mistakes, regardless who is actually at fault. Don't mean to rant, but I am just frustrated. Almost three years of rebuilding my credit and building my wife's new credit and we are still strugling to get to the top while doing absolutely everything right. We come from a different part of the world where people are not numbers

Message 7 of 9
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@felyasocal wrote:

They did continue and their system would fail time and time again. They tried three times and it wouldn't give an answer. While actually running her credit. We needed to get the phone so since the account was under my name, we just decided to keep it under my name. The sales person assured us that there will not be a hard inquiry. I guess its pointless now. Verizon doesn't give a crap, Credit Bureaus don't give a damn either. This whole system is stupid. No other country has such a bad system where people are punished like little children for even the slightest mistakes, regardless who is actually at fault. Don't mean to rant, but I am just frustrated. Almost three years of rebuilding my credit and building my wife's new credit and we are still strugling to get to the top while doing absolutely everything right. We come from a different part of the world where people are not numbers

I know you're upset and frustrated right now and I don't blame you. But on the positive side, the three inquiries really aren't going to hurt your wife -that- much. They'll be gone in two years and will stop affecting her score after one year. That said, have you tried contacting the Verizon EO?

Yes, the US makes you have credit for everything but every country has its own problem and hoops. I used to live in Japan and I didn't need credit in Japan to get a cell phone. You also don't need it for renting an apartment but trust me, there are many other hoops for renting an apartment there and some landlords flat out deny non-Japanese. So every place has some problem! (But hey, if you find the perfect country, let me know!)

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 8 of 9
felyasocal
New Contributor

=) My wide and I are thinking about Germany. May be another European country. And as bad as Russia is lately ( I was born there, but left 25 years ago), Moscow is one of the coolest, most fun cities on Earth. They have good jobs that pay a lot more than in US and its very cultural. And in regards to credit, you don't need 20% to buy a house. Morgages are super easy there as long as you can prove that you have a stable job

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.