Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry Discrepancies?

tag
ayles
Established Contributor

Inquiry Discrepancies?

I was able to pull up my Experian cr two days ago when I was denied for the BCE. i had 12 inquiries over the past two years.

Then today I happen to be able to pull Equifax for free by using denial as a reason and it only had 4 inquiries over the last 2 years.

I'm just curious as to why is there such a discrepancy in number of inquiries between the two?

I want to check TU now because I have no clue what they're reporting....

Current scores: myFICO: 670/TU(Wal): 664/TU(Dis): 659 (Goal: 700)
Last app: 1/3/2014; (Prayerfully!) gardening until: 7/3/2014

~I'm living for an audience of One!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Inquiry Discrepancies?

The deletion of inquiries is solely a discretionary housekeeping measure taken by the CRAs to clearn out their files.

While two years is the normal age, they can occur at any time.  I would suspect they recently purged some ot the older inquiries.

Message 2 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Keep in mind each CB has its own set of inquiries.  If every cc you applied for pulled all 3 CBs, then the inq's would be the same across all three.  Chances are whomever you applied with may have pulled EX, EQ or TU.

Message 3 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@ayles wrote:

I'm just curious as to why is there such a discrepancy in number of inquiries between the two?

It's not a discrepancy.  As Lexis indicates, creditors don't pull all 3 except in certain cases so it's normal for the number of inquiries to vary.  I probably have about 10 with Experian, several with Equifax and 0 with Trans Union.

Message 4 of 6
ayles
Established Contributor

Thanks for the helpful information everybody! Makes a lot more sense. 

Current scores: myFICO: 670/TU(Wal): 664/TU(Dis): 659 (Goal: 700)
Last app: 1/3/2014; (Prayerfully!) gardening until: 7/3/2014

~I'm living for an audience of One!
Message 5 of 6
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@ayles wrote:

I was able to pull up my Experian cr two days ago when I was denied for the BCE. i had 12 inquiries over the past two years.

Then today I happen to be able to pull Equifax for free by using denial as a reason and it only had 4 inquiries over the last 2 years.

I want to check TU now because I have no clue what they're reporting....

Creditors have a tendency to pull just one report if your report is decent (or a variant of the three if borderline).  However, CapOne will pull all three reports regardless.  That is why you don't have an equal number of pulls on each report.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.