Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insider Tips to Bring Up Your Scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Insider Tips to Bring Up Your Scores

This insider tip was given to me by a banker, he said for poor credit people like myself go get myself a "secured credit card"!  This card works by not people extending credit to you, but you create your own credit.  You deposit X-amount into a deposit account and that will be your credit line.

This banker tells me that just used this "secured credit card" once in a great while and never exceed 50% of your credit line and pay it all off right away.  I submitted $1000.00 and now I have a "secure credit card" reporting on all three of my credit report agencies.  I'm assuming this approach is to better my "utilization"?

Any other pointers and insider tips on how to increase credit scores (besides the obvious = don't have late payments, bankruptcy, collections, charge offs, don't let your credit limits approach credit limits, etc.)?

I heard of the following would also work:

1) Have a close one (family or friends) that has a very old credit card account (15 years +) to add you as an authorized user on that card (aka a sponsor).  The sponsor will shred the extra credit card under your name when they received it in the mail so you actually never have the card in possession so you don't go spend more $$ and ruin the sponsor's credit.  Basically, this approach will extend your sponsor's great credit and rub some onto you.

Anyone else has any tips?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
203bravo
Established Contributor

Re: Insider Tips to Bring Up Your Scores

That's always been good advice. I would just add to be very careful when going down this road.  There are some companies that have a secured card - but buy the time you pay all their fees (APR, app fee, monthly fee, they need a new coffee pot fee, one of the ladies is pregnant and they want to get her something really nice fee, you get the idea) you will never be able to use the card and it'll get out of control very quickly.

As with anything else... Do homework and shop

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is true.  Make sure your secured credit card company is reliable!  I found one that has very low annual fee and no other crazy fees and/or charges.  Bank of America and Citi both has the secured card option.

Message 3 of 13
203bravo
Established Contributor

my understanding about the bank of america secure card program is you place $99 into a savings account with them and they issue you a credit card with a limit of $500.  After 1 year of PERFECT payments the card will convert to a regualr card and you can withdraw you savings account then.

Doesn't sould like to bad an option.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@203bravo wrote:

my understanding about the bank of america secure card program is you place $99 into a savings account with them and they issue you a credit card with a limit of $500.  After 1 year of PERFECT payments the card will convert to a regualr card and you can withdraw you savings account then.

Doesn't sould like to bad an option.

I believe that's their partially secured card.  They also have a fully secured card.

Message 5 of 13
203bravo
Established Contributor

thanks.. I didn't know that. I just have people tell me they go to the BOA website, apply for a regular card and about 8 times out of 10 will then offer them the $99/500 card. 

Since I boycott BOA I don't keep up with their programs much  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This insider tip was given to me by a banker, he said for poor credit people like myself go get myself a "secured credit card"!  This card works by not people extending credit to you, but you create your own credit.  You deposit X-amount into a deposit account and that will be your credit line.

This banker tells me that just used this "secured credit card" once in a great while and never exceed 50% of your credit line and pay it all off right away.  I submitted $1000.00 and now I have a "secure credit card" reporting on all three of my credit report agencies.  I'm assuming this approach is to better my "utilization"?

Any other pointers and insider tips on how to increase credit scores (besides the obvious = don't have late payments, bankruptcy, collections, charge offs, don't let your credit limits approach credit limits, etc.)?

I heard of the following would also work:

1) Have a close one (family or friends) that has a very old credit card account (15 years +) to add you as an authorized user on that card (aka a sponsor).  The sponsor will shred the extra credit card under your name when they received it in the mail so you actually never have the card in possession so you don't go spend more $$ and ruin the sponsor's credit.  Basically, this approach will extend your sponsor's great credit and rub some onto you.

Anyone else has any tips?

This is similar to the tip I gave my brother when he was struggling.  I told him to buy a 6 month CD for $X. Then, at the same bank, you take out a 6 month loan for the same amount, using the CD as collateral for the loan. They will do this, since they have no risk---you pledge the CD against the loan.

Make 4 regular installments (you can pay a little more if you want, but don't get too carried away. The point is to show you are using credit well. You'd defeat the purpose if you paid it off in the 2nd month).  On the 5th payment date, pay the loan in full.

You could do this with a longer loan term, too. Just make sure the CD term is for at least as long as the loan term.

His score shot up 50 or 60 points by doing this. He got an auto loan and several credit cards shortly thereafter, where before, no one would touch him. I learned this trick in the early 1980s from a "kit" I purchase about credit rebuilding.  ;-)

Also, be careful about paying that "secured card" in full every month. If it always reports a 0 balance, it appears that you aren't actually USING credit, and your credit score is all about determing how well you USE your credit. You might want to consider leaving a small (10% or less) balance on it a couple of months. You actually score higher using under 10% of your limit than you do using 0 of your limit.

Good luck, and be PATIENT!  When my husband and I met and married in 2004, we both had scores just barely over 500 due to serious issues with our prior spouses.  Now, we are both over 700. It takes time and dilligence, but it CAN be done.  ;-)

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Cheech for sharing the CD idea!

So far we have:

1) Secure credit cards

2) Authorized users

3) CD -> loans

Anything else?

Message 8 of 13
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Cheech wrote: 

Also, be careful about paying that "secured card" in full every month. If it always reports a 0 balance, it appears that you aren't actually USING credit, and your credit score is all about determing how well you USE your credit. You might want to consider leaving a small (10% or less) balance on it a couple of months. You actually score higher using under 10% of your limit than you do using 0 of your limit.

There is no need to leave a small balance on a credit card to show use. Paying in full before the due date will not show up as 0 balance on your credit reports. The balance on your credit report is from the date the ccc reports your account to them, usually the day your statement cuts. If you PIF after your statement and before your due date you will pay no interest and show use of the cc.  This is a common confusion since many on here talk about sending a payment prior to the statement cutting in order to SHOW a zero balance or to make sure no more than 1-9% utilization.
Cheers 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cobaltnv wrote:

Cheech wrote: 

There is no need to leave a small balance on a credit card to show use. Paying in full before the due date will not show up as 0 balance on your credit reports. The balance on your credit report is from the date the ccc reports your account to them, usually the day your statement cuts. If you PIF after your statement and before your due date you will pay no interest and show use of the cc.  This is a common confusion since many on here talk about sending a payment prior to the statement cutting in order to SHOW a zero balance or to make sure no more than 1-9% utilization.
Cheers 

No confusion on my part, cobalt. I wasn't suggesting that he keep a running balance from month to month; but he was advised to only "use it once in a great while" and then PIF right away.  If he misinterprets that as use it every 3 months; and run right home and make a payment, his new card will not give him ANY benefit. Sorry if you didn't get that part.

I suppose I could have elaborated on the whole "statement drop date" issue, but since he's just getting back on his feet, I thought that might be just a bit too involved and confusing.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.