Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment Loan Questions...

tag
blazerein
Established Contributor

Installment Loan Questions...

Is it bad to have too much installment loans?  I have 4 open right now - 2 Auto and 2 Personal loans.  Will my score improve if I close one personal loan? I have enough money right now to pay in full one of my personal loan.

Appreciate the help.

AAoA 6yrs 3mos | Inquries: TU5/EQ5/EX8 | Utilization: 9% | Mortgage: 1 | Auto Loan: 2 | Personal Loan: 2 | Derogatory: 0

> >CREDIT UNION

EX- 585, TU- 583, EQ- 563 | CURRENT SCORE UPDATED: 2/2023 -> FICO 8 EX 754 TU 741 EQ 755 | FICO 9 EX 747 EQ 763 TU 756
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Installment Loan Questions...

@blazerein wrote:

Is it bad to have too much installment loans?  I have 4 open right now - 2 Auto and 2 Personal loans.  Will my score improve if I close one personal loan? I have enough money right now to pay in full one of my personal loan.

Appreciate the help.

Do you have any open revolving credit (CC's, lines of credit, etc.), and if so, how many?

Installment debt isn't usually a problem in scores. In fact, it helps to have one open installment. But if you don't have a lot of negatives, you might be getting hurt for "too many accounts with balances." Since by definition, all open installment accounts have balances, if you only have two open CC's, for instance, that means that at least 4 out of your 6 open accounts are reporting balances, a common ding, although not a huge one.

If you have 5 or more open CC's, and you only let one report a balance, the 4 CC's with $0 balances sort of counter-balance the installment accounts. But that's getting life complicated. I made that mistake back in the day, and now I'm trying to figure which card(s) to close to simplify my life.

If you have the money to pay off a loan, my vote is to do so. You're bound to be paying more in installment interest than you're earning in savings these days. Paying off the loan is like paying yourself the interest that you're currently paying the lender.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with HTSU that if you have the money to pay off any debt you should do so as fast as possible. With one caveat; make sure you still have an emergency fund in place.

Being debt free should always be your #1 goal with scores being a secondary consideration.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

I would only add that many consumers are reluctant to close an account, thinking that it will remove the account from its positive effect on average age of accounts, and thus harm their credit score.  All accounts still included in your credit file enter into your age of accounts calculation, so that is not a real concern.

The possible long-term effect, due to the CRA practice of deleting old accounts from a consumer's credit file after approx. 10 years from its date of closure, could cause the loss of the age of that account from your credit scoring a decade from now, but that is a distant future concern.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.