cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment Loans for 19 Year Old

tag
Jmbeebe0722

Installment Loans for 19 Year Old

I have been working on my credit for the last year or so. I am a student who makes about $18,000-$20,000 a year. I currently have a Bank of America Credit Card with a credit limit of $1,200 and a Discover It for Students with a $1,500. My credit card utiliazation is 5% and 100% on time payment paid in full every time, and have only one credit inquiry. 

I am looking to help build my score up and considering an installment loan of some sort. I am curious as to my options for finding a loan. I am not looking for anything with a high balance, just something to help build credit worthiness. 

Also I want to add my plans for this loan would be solely to build credit, I will pay on it for 6-8 months and pay it off. I am not worried about not being able to afford it as I will not be taking out one more than my liquid assets which about $15,000. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
yanksrox94

Re: Installment Loans for 19 Year Old

In my opinion keep on doing what you are doing and you will build a excellent history. Why take out a loan and pay interest for an increase in credit score that you wont need right now. You already ahead of most and i am jealous as a fellow student who makes half of what you make.

Message 2 of 5
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

You really don't need it, but you could look into a Credit Builder-type loan from a CU. It's basically an installment loan where the payments go into a savings account or CD that you can't withdraw from until the loan period is over. You make the payments, it reports to the CRA's, and at the end you get the CD or savings account. It can be a score booster.

Message 3 of 5
SpideySense
Established Member

Hello Jmbeebe0722,  You might consider taking out a student loan for one semester (assuming you're not currently).  Or if you are using student loans, another one that you'll start paying off immediately.  Shop around for a good rate and itemize your taxes to recoup any interest burden.   Among the benefits would be a longer active tradeline.

Starting Score: eq-757 tu-713 (nov 2011)
Current Score: ex-850 eq-836 tu-844
Goal : maintain

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
PersonalBanker89
Valued Member

How long have you had those two cards? What is your credit score?

Regions Bank Prestige (11k) / Fidelity Rewards (9.2k) Chase Freedom (2k) / Navy FCU cashRewards (22k) Discover it (6.4k) / Citi Double Cash (5.4k) / Amex Bluecash (15.7k) / Chase Unlimited (12.5k) / Barclays Rewards (6.4k) / Wells Fargo Cash Wise (10k) = TCL (100.6k)

FICO 8 Scores : EQ 752 / TU 738
AAoA : 4.1 yrs / AoOA : 7.4 yrs / AoYA: 1 yrs
Utilization : 2% / Last Inquiry: July 2017
Goal : Garden to 2020 with 750s
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.