Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance late payment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Insurance late payment

I had a claim for an MRI botched by insurance a couple years ago. They paid the claim but they initially declined it then paid it 6 mos later after I investigated. In the meantime, the thing went to collections and is sitting on my Experian CR. It never hit Eq, and TU took it off after I disputed it with them

I have the EOB from the insurer showing it as paid by them. The best I could get Experian to do is change the amount from $1200 to "not on record" after two written disputes.  It is sitting as a 2004 paid charge off. 

My question is - should I really be on the hook for this?  The provider claims I let it sit too long (the reality is I was getting a lot EOB's at the time because of my family's health, I missed the fact that this was not paid - I knew I was covered).  I only realized it was not paid when I was denied credit and checked my credit report.

What else can I do to fight this, would a lawyer help or is it a lost cause?  I certainly don't want to have this appear on my other two credit reports. 
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call the collection agency and have them send a letter to...

Call the collection agency and have them send a letter to either the bureau or the collection ageny to have it removed. If that doesn't work call the original creditor
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Been there ....

CA said they can't remove without instructon from provider.

Provider billing dept says it was outstanding too long and they won't remove it.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep trying

Keep trying! easier said than done, but the truth is the Credit Bureaus will not delete a verified legit collection. In other words, I know the insurance should have paid but they reported it as a collection. When you disputed it all that they did was verify that it was a collection and updated it as Paid/collection or change the amount owed. The only way they will delete it, is if they cannot verify it or it does not belong to you.

Your best bet is to wait and try to dispute again after 6 months or so. They keep records and if they have already investigated it once you may get a generic response. You could add a statement to your credit file- but really I don't know that that helps
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.