Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introduction and a question.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Introduction and a question.

Hello all!  My name is Ryan, and this is a very interesting forum.  Loads of great info! Now for my questions.  I pulled my report today, because i wanted to know my true fico. It was a 608, about what i expectedSmiley Sad And i have my first collecion acct. for $159 from  someone. It doesn't say on my report who the CA is, just random letters and numbers where the name should be. But i think it is from AFNI, from a report i pulled from another site last month. I have heard they are difficult to work with from this forum. Im sending them a PFD, but if they wont allow that, should i just pay it?  Is it better to have a paid collection, or just let it stay on?  Also, this really is a false charge on an old Sprint acct from 2 years ago. They never tried to collect anything from me, and never reported anything. Also, AFNI has never sent anything, or contacted me but they did report to all three bureaus.  I did an online dispute, but came back verified.  Good advice is requested. Ask me questions if you need more info. Thanks.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Introduction and a question.

Hi Ryan and welcome!  Sounds like you have read the 101 but if not... please start here:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=ficoscoring&thread.id=2654

Sometimes medical collections appear with very little information.  Before you PFD, you might want to dispute the CA on your CBRs to see what, if anything, comes back.  This might not be Sprint.

Never stop at 1 attempt on a PFD if declined.  A paid collection is better than an unpaid yes,but not by as much as you would think.  Both are derogs.

I suggest calling Sprint regarding this and seeing if they still own the debt, and if they can correct the false charge.  They might still own the account/debt... and at only 2 years out, probably do.  If you can settle the PFD with Sprint (if they are showing as well) , the CA information should drop off automatically, and be disputed off if not.  If they are not showing on your CBR, modify the PFD to indicate that Sprint is to assure you that no derog info on the account will be reported in the future, and that they will remove any collection activity on your reports etc.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found that the CA that has this account is AFNI, and it was from an old Sprint account. from 18 months ago.  I called Sprint a little bit ago, and they were fairly helpful. I am being charged for an early termination fee, and late payment fees.  But i told them that they said they would waive them at the time i disconnected. They verified when the rep told me that last June 06  in their account notes. So that is good. They are calling me back with a judgement tomorrow, but the guy told me that i shouldn't owe anything.  Now here is where it is strange to me.  They told me it has been sold off to another collection company, but it isn't the company that is on my CR.  So if I get Sprint to say I don't owe anything, What do I do about AFNI?  Sprint said they didn't sell the debt to them.
Message 3 of 8
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Good news!

Sounds like the 'debt' may have been resold to AFNI.

Make sure you write down all info names/dates/departments/facts on your discussions with Sprint.  Advise Sprint tomorrow when they give you the judgement decision to of course make sure that they contact any CAs that were involved with this that it was an error.

I would go ahead now and begin your disputes on anything at all related to this on your CBRs... 'not mine'... AFNI included.   If it for any odd reason something verifies after the few weeks it usually takes for them to investigate, take it to a DV letter to the CAs.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will start another dispute process tomorrow. Should i h...

I will start another dispute process tomorrow. Should i have Sprint fax me something tomorrow stating that I don't owe them anything?  I have a feeling this won't be simple.  Also, how come i have never heard from AFNI, or received any letter from them, yet they are on my report.  They have never attempted to collect.  Good thing i checked my report.
Message 5 of 8
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: I will start another dispute process tomorrow. Should i h...

This actually should be simple, don't worry all too much about it.  You have a very good idea regarding Sprint FAXing you a confirmation.

Regarding AFNI, as I had mentioned earlier CA accounts listed with little info and more numbers are usually medical... so maybe there is a possibility AFNI (or that entry) is not part of the Sprint issue.  Don't call them to find out though.  Smiley Wink  Just dispute tomorrow and if AFNI verifies to something else, you can deal with that seperately.  I forgot though if you had said the $ was the same with this AFNI and the Sprint bill, which of course would make it more likely that it was related.

Either way, collection agencies do resell accounts, so that is probable.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I will start another dispute process tomorrow. Should i h...

yes, the amounts do match up. Sprint and AFNI.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

***update****

I finally got a confirmation email from Sprint saying they made a mistake and shouldn't have charged me anything.  They also said they were sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Smiley Mad  So i faxed the email off to AFNI and they said they would talk to Sprint and confirm. What do I do now?  Should i stay on top of AFNI to make sure they get this deleted from my CR?

Message Edited by nowyouknow on 11-01-2007 06:12 PM
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.