Established Contributor

Is Credit.com accurate?

The score I have on there is 751.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Credit.com accurate?

No. Credit.com provides a FAKO score. It's not bad for looking at how your score changes, but it isn't accurate as to your FICO 08 scores. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. For me it's off by 20 points.

Message 3 of 7
ddemari
Super Contributor

Credit.com is vanity scoring.

Here are two examples...

1. Me- Credit.com FAKO based on EXPERIAN 744. 

Experian Fico 08 - 694

2. I am helping a friend of mine who has not payed attention to creidt in years start the rebuild. Her reports are full of charge offs from 2012-2013, only positve tradeline is AU account she is placed on but that card is maxed out. 

Credit.com FAKO based on Experian score for her is 622

Experian Fico 08- 475 

Message 4 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@killer_queen229 wrote:
Is Credit.com accurate?

All scores are accurate but only for their own model.  You cannot use a score generated by one model to determine a score generated by a different model.  Different models use different algorithms which evaulate report data differently so you shold expect the results to differ.  They can also have varying point scales.  That said, different models can be coincidentally close or even generate the same number in certain situations but remember that coincidental and causal are two entirely different things.  I.e. -- the two models won't always produce the same number, have the same proximity or even necessarily trend the same way.  If you want to know what a given score is then you need to pull that specific score using the specific CRA as a data source.

Always consider the specific scoring model and CRA.  Do not assume that any two scores are equivalent even if both are FICO's.  FICO has many different models used by creditors.  Definitely take a look in the Understanding FICO Scoring subforum and its stickies if you have not already.

It takes a little digging sometimes but in many cases the site will provide info on the scoring model used.  For credit.com:

http://www.credit.com/credit-scores/vantagescore/

Introduced in March of 2013, and shortly thereafter provided by Credit.com as part of its free Credit Report Card, VantageScore 3.0 brings some new consumer-friendly features to the table, while at the same time providing lenders with up to a 25 percent predictive improvement over earlier models.

VantageScore 3.0 is the same model provided by Credit Karma but credit.com uses Experian report data where CK is TransUinion and Equifax. If you have a creditor that uses an Experian VantageScore 3.0 then credit.com's score is relevant. Otherwise, it is not.  The same sort of thing applies to any scoring model.  If a creditor uses the EQ FICO 5 then your TU FICO 8 isn't relevant. 

@ddemari wrote:

The offsets aren't fixed.  EX VS3 may be higher than EX FICO 8 for you and your friend but, again, that isn't necessarily the case in all situations.  Be very careful assuming trends on any topic based on limited sample data.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:
Is Credit.com accurate?

All scores are accurate but only for their own model.  You cannot use a score generated by one model to determine a score generated by a different model.  Different models use different algorithms which evaulate report data differently so you shold expect the results to differ.  They can also have varying point scales.  That said, different models can be coincidentally close or even generate the same number in certain situations but remember that coincidental and causal are two entirely different things.  I.e. -- the two models won't always produce the same number, have the same proximity or even necessarily trend the same way.  If you want to know what a given score is then you need to pull that specific score using the specific CRA as a data source.

Always consider the specific scoring model and CRA.  Do not assume that any two scores are equivalent even if both are FICO's.  FICO has many different models used by creditors.  Definitely take a look in the Understanding FICO Scoring subforum and its stickies if you have not already.

It takes a little digging sometimes but in many cases the site will provide info on the scoring model used.  For credit.com:

http://www.credit.com/credit-scores/vantagescore/

Introduced in March of 2013, and shortly thereafter provided by Credit.com as part of its free Credit Report Card, VantageScore 3.0 brings some new consumer-friendly features to the table, while at the same time providing lenders with up to a 25 percent predictive improvement over earlier models.

VantageScore 3.0 is the same model provided by Credit Karma but credit.com uses Experian report data where CK is TransUinion and Equifax. If you have a creditor that uses an Experian VantageScore 3.0 then credit.com's score is relevant. Otherwise, it is not.  The same sort of thing applies to any scoring model.  If a creditor uses the EQ FICO 5 then your TU FICO 8 isn't relevant. 

@ddemari wrote:

The offsets aren't fixed.  EX VS3 may be higher than EX FICO 8 for you and your friend but, again, that isn't necessarily the case in all situations.  Be very careful assuming trends on any topic based on limited sample data.

^^^^

What this person said. VantageScores are used, but not used that much. Their score is real, but only for lenders that actually use it.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine is showing 28 points lower than what the mortgage guy got.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.