Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is PenFed worth joining?

tag
DSW89
New Contributor

Is PenFed worth joining?

Hi I am a member of NFCU and love them! But I was wondering if PenFed is worth the HP to join?
NavChek~ 13K.... nRewards MC~ 12K... CashRewards Visa sig~ 12k... NFCU Platinum Visa~ 10K... USAA Cash Rewards~ $2000... Chase Freedom~ $1500... Discover It~ $1500... Belk~ $1200.... Children's place ~$850... Walmart Store Card~ $1350... Amazon Store Card~ $1150...Victoria's Secret~ $500 Macy's~ $800

EQ~ 642
EX Fico~ 680
TU~ 686
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jackg
Established Contributor

Re: Is PenFed worth joining?

I belong to NFCU & PenFed. To be honest I never found anything at PF worth pursuing. On the other hand NFCU is FANTASTIC.

FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 2 of 4
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Unless you have stellar credit like above 750 I wouldnt recommend Penfed

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 3 of 4
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I took the HP to join PenFed some time ago.  A PenFed card is the prime of prime cards and is an ultimate goal for my credit.  You need a very high score and a report with 0 inquiries to get a tradeline like this.  I might be able to do it in late 2015 when I no longer have anything negative on my reports.  But, for now, I just keep the account open.  I have never attempted applying for anything.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.