cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a PAID collection just as bad as an UNPAID one?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is a PAID collection just as bad as an UNPAID one?

They recently RE-INSERTED a paid collection to two of my CR's so far without ever notifying me, and I'm kind of freaked out about some of my creditors checking my CR now and seeing a collection on my reports. If...IF I lose my dispute to take these collections off, do you think a paid collection on my CR's would be just as bad as an unpaid collection? Please give me some insight. Thanks!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is a PAID collection just as bad as an UNPAID one?

Did they report after you paid, or were they reporting prior to payment??  How old are accts and who is the CA reporting??

Paid CO is better than unpaid in lenders eyes. Most will not even consider a loan with unpaid CO. However, you could try GW letters to have items removed. I would EDIT!. See what happens.

Edit by cheddar:  Hi gatoravi8tor1.  I have edited your post as it violated our Credit Repair Discussion GuidelinesTerms of Service, and User Guidelines that prohibit the promotion of certain types of credit repair. Please read these guidelines before posting anything further about credit repair.

Thanks for contributing to these forums and for your cooperation!

Message Edited by cheddar on 03-28-2008 09:27 AM
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

For scoring, yes, a collection counts the same whether it is paid or unpaid.  The older it gets the less it hurts.

For manual review, a paid collection always looks better than an unpaid one.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry jizoe,

I missed that you have paid collections, and not paid CO.  Paid CO is worse than Paid Collection. Paid Collections have less affect on scores as time goes by. I would still EDIT!, and then GW CA for deletion.

Getting it removed would be best.

Message Edited by cheddar on 03-28-2008 09:28 AM
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry jizoe,

I missed that you have paid collections, and not paid CO. Paid CO is worse than Paid Collection. Paid Collections have less affect on scores as time goes by. I would still EDIT!, and then GW CA for deletion.

Getting it removed would be best.

Message Edited by cheddar on 03-28-2008 09:28 AM

--------------------

I did! I got it removed and all of a sudden, a couple months later it's back on. I don't understand it at all. It was almost like it was too good to be true because it was so easy to get it off my CR's. But yeah, I'm going to try and GW them if my disputes don't go through.

The CA is Paragon Way or something like that. I got this cash advance thing way back when I was 19 and totally forgot about paying it when I moved to a different state. (It was a crazy year for me)

Btw, does anyone have a well-written and strong GW I can borrow? Thanks!
Message 5 of 13
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

Mabey you can use happydays letter:

Name of account, account number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. This item has not been reported properly. After looking at past and present credit reports it has come to my attention that you have allowed this item to be reinserted into my credit file after it had been deleted. Based on the credit report dates the period during which this reinsertion took place was between XX/XX/XX and XX/XX/XX.

Pursuant to the FCRA, I'd like to be provided with copies of the certification required for reinsertion for this account.

Under the FCRA Section 611(a)(5)((ii) ". . . . reinserted in the file, the consumer reporting agency shall notify the consumer of the reinsertion in writing not later than
5 business days after the reinsertion or, if authorized by the consumer for that purpose, by any other means available to the agency.
(iii) Additional information. As part of, or in addition to, the notice under clause (ii), a consumer reporting agency shall provide to a consumer in writing not later than 5 business days after the date of the reinsertion
(I) a statement that the disputed information has been reinserted;
(II) the business name and address of any furnisher of information contacted and the telephone number of such furnisher, if reasonably available, or of any furnisher of information that contacted the consumer reporting agency, in connection with the reinsertion of such information; . . . ."

I was not so notified. I am disputing this item. I will allow you 15 days to furnish this information, however if you do not provide the information requested, you must delete this account as required by the FCRA. Please send me a copy of my updated credit report after you have completed this request.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much!

i think i'm going to send this letter certified. Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long has it been since they reinserted?  They have five days to notify you.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since the 18th of this month. So it's been 7 or 8 business days now.
Message 9 of 13
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

Good! Get that letter out today certified! Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.