cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a disputed account screwing up my utilization?

tag
kaydubya
Established Member

Is a disputed account screwing up my utilization?

About a year ago I missed a payment on my cap1 cc and received a 30day late which they reported to the bureaus. I stupidly called and asked if they could revert the reporting. Now, there is a note on my report that the account is disputed, and my credit limit does not seem to be impacted by that particular card. Is this a problem? Can I fix this problem?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is a disputed account screwing up my utilization?

@kaydubya wrote:
About a year ago I missed a payment on my cap1 cc and received a 30day late which they reported to the bureaus. I stupidly called and asked if they could revert the reporting. Now, there is a note on my report that the account is disputed, and my credit limit does not seem to be impacted by that particular card. Is this a problem? Can I fix this problem?

By getting the dispute removed; disputes do wierd things under some and maybe all versions of the FICO algorithms: up to and including completely discounting the tradeline from scoring.

It's why it's effectively impossible to get a mortgage underwritten with a dispute flag.

        
Message 2 of 5
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

Do you request dispute removal through the CRA's?

Starting Score: 573 (EX Faco) | Current Scores: EX(Fico) 674, EQ(Fico) 668, TU(Fico) 691
Message 3 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Yes as I understand it.  Cutting and pasting something that one of our members (ShanetheMortgageMan) wrote:

I always have my clients deal directly with the credit bureaus when removing dispute remarks.  We've had a 100% success rate and is the quickest way to go about it.

Experian
475 Anton Blvd.
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
714-830-7000 is answered by a live human being, tell them you need the Executive Customer Service Team to end the dispute(s), hours are 8AM-5PM Pacific Time

Equifax
1550 Peachtree St, NW
Atlanta, GA 30309
404-885-8300 is answered by a live human being, tell them you need to speak with someone in the Executive Consumer Service department.

TransUnion
555 W Adams St
Chicago, IL 60661
312-985-2000 it has a machine greeting but just stay on the line and you are transferred to a live person, tell them you need to speak with someone in the Special Handling Department, you'll have to wait a little bit as they need to connect to customer service then get it elevated to the Special Handling Department (it is hit or miss, TransUnion often proves to be the most challenging)

If you cannot get the Special Handling Department, then when contacting the normal customer service reps you should say:

I need to dispute the compliance condition remarks code of "AID" (Account In Dispute) because I am no longer disputing the account.

The customer service rep should be able to immediately end the dispute, as in during the phone call.

There are some situations that disputes cannot be ended by the consumer, and must be ended by the creditor, such as if there are multiple disputes on the same trade line. Remember to always be patient with the customer service reps, as they are trying to help you but may have limited communication skills depending on where the customer service call center is based.  If there are confusing terms being used, don't be afraid to admit you do not understand what they are saying and ask for them to re-explain or to transfer you to someone in the U.S.

        
Message 4 of 5
kaydubya
Established Member

Thanks for those contacts! I just had all 3 bureaus remove the note.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.