cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a freeze the same as a Fraud Alert on EX?

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Is a freeze the same as a Fraud Alert on EX?

I have scoured my EX rept., which came directly from EX website (not the CMS website). I have also thoroughly looked through the CMS website, which I have through Experian (freecreditscore.com). And nowhere can I find instructions as to how to freeze my CR. The only thing I can find is how to set up a fraud alert for 90 days. I'm assuming this isn't the same thing, but I wonder if it would accomplish what I want, which is to prevent any unnecessary EX inquiries. From what I can tell, it wouldn't, but I'm hoping someone w/a Fraud Alert might know for sure.

Also, can anyone tell me how to put a freeze on EX. I believe I read it costs $10.

Thank you! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Is a freeze the same as a Fraud Alert on EX?

@bichonmom wrote:

I have scoured my EX rept., which came directly from EX website (not the CMS website). I have also thoroughly looked through the CMS website, which I have through Experian (freecreditscore.com). And nowhere can I find instructions as to how to freeze my CR. The only thing I can find is how to set up a fraud alert for 90 days. I'm assuming this isn't the same thing, but I wonder if it would accomplish what I want, which is to prevent any unnecessary EX inquiries. From what I can tell, it wouldn't, but I'm hoping someone w/a Fraud Alert might know for sure.

Also, can anyone tell me how to put a freeze on EX. I believe I read it costs $10.

Thank you! Smiley Happy

http://www.experian.com/consumer/security_freeze.html

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 6
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thank you! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bichonmom wrote:

Thank you! Smiley Happy

A fraud alert is not the same thing as a freeze. 

A fraud alert allows anybody with permissible purpose to pull your credit reports, but, in theory, prevents a new account from being approved until they confirm with you.

If you are concerned about a CA having access to your credit reports, you are facing an uphill battle since there is no way to prevent it.

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

"Fraud alerts" are only entered into a consumer's credit file at the request of the consumer, and come in two levels. FCRA 605A.

The lesser version of a "fraud alert" is an "initial alert," as defined in FCRA 605A(a).  All it requires is that the consumer notify the CRA that they have a good faith suspicion that they have been, or are about to become, a victum of fraud or identity theft.  An "initial fraud alert" remains in the credit file for a period of not less than 90 days, and can be removed earlier at the request of the consumer.  It is simply an alert to those accessing your credit file.

The next level of a fraud alert is called an "extended fraud alert."  FCRA 605A(b).  To get the fruad alert extended, the consumer must provide an "identity theft" report to the CRA, which is nothing more than a police report.  Exttended alerts remain for 7 years, unless the consumer requests earlier removal.  Extended alerts do provide for some degree of blocking or freezing.  For the first 5 years under extended alert, the CRA must exclude the consumer from any promotional inquiry lists for offers of new credit.  Additionally, while under an extended fraud alert, no one may use your CR to establish a new credit plan or extension of credit, or issue additional cards under an account or extend the credit limit on an account without your personal prior approval. FCRA 605A(b)(2).

A consumer, with or without requesting a fraud alert in his or her credit file, can take the additional or alternate step of requesting that any information asserted to be reported as a result of possible identity theft be blocked from further inclusion in any credit report issued by the CRA.  FCRA 605B.  The request for blocking of information from CR inclusion also requires the submission of an "identity theft report" to the CRA.

So it depends upon what you are referring to as a "freeze."  Different things can be frozen or blocked, either with an extended fraud alert and/or a request for CR blocking.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.