cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone concerned with their sensitive information at TRUECREDIT and the philipino CSC ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is anyone concerned with their sensitive information at TRUECREDIT and the philipino CSC ?

Every time I call true credit, I get connected to their customer service center based out of the Philippines. We all know there is a ton of identity theft in Asia. Today I noticed they double billed me and I called and spoke to a CSR. They double billed me because a few days ago I had signed on with them and after I paid, I could not log in. I called that same day and a CSR told me that she would have to cancel my order and then I would have to order again to get onto the system. I did just that, but she forgot to refund me one of the payments I made....so that is why I called today demanding a refund of one of the two 14.95 payments I made the same day.

First off, it seems they are so poorly trained..such a shame with something as sensitive as your credit. They have all your information right in front of their eyes and the first thing they ask you when you get connected to a CSR is your social security number. Why not ask me for my log in ID and then confirm it with my date of birth. Why should they have access to my social security number RIGHT OF THE BAT ? Anyhow, she tells me that I shouldn't worry because it's probably just a pending payment at this point and the fact that they canceled the order means that the pending payment will disappear and not post onto my credit card account. She is shooting from the hip now and I am pretty angry. I point out to her that the payment HAS posted already to my credit card account because I am looking at my account online right now while I am talking to her.

She then tells me that she needs my credit card number to issue a refund ?!? I tell her, NO..you do not need my credit card number, simply issue a refund to the credit card I have on file with you...the same credit card you bill automatically each month. She says "ok" and tells me that I will receive a confirmation email from them.

I do not trust these people. I am sure there are insiders working with truecredit.com in the Philippines that will realize they have all the necessary information right before their eyes to steal identity and god knows what else. After a while of working for 4.00 an hour or whatever they make, they will easily be enticed by a 2,000 offer to give someone some information.

Anyone else concerned as much as I am ? Truecredit should NOT have their customer service center operations out of the Philippines. This is ridiculous and a disaster waiting to happen IMO.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is anyone concerned with their sensitive information at TRUECREDIT and the philipino CSC ?

Are Filipinos inherently less trustworthy than Americans? They are a very hardworking and religious people and who are devoted to their families. What specific qualities about Filipinos, other than their "misfortune" of being born in a country other than the US, make them more corruptible than us?

The last time I checked, there is a tremendous amount of identity theft that originates within our 50 states. Should we disparage those companies that choose to utilize American workers to handle sensitive information?
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is anyone concerned with their sensitive information at TRUECREDIT and the philipino CSC ?

LEL..it has nothing to do with philipinos in general, so take a chill pill please. What it DOES have to do with, is the outsourcing of your EXTREMELY sensitive identity information overseas to countries who do not have the same laws as the United States of America. Sorry....I don't trust my personal information in the Philippines.

"I'll bet that when given a choice, consumers prefer that their credit and financial data is kept within their country's borders, rather than being transmitted around the globe. It all goes to risk. The fewer places credit and financial data are transmitted, the less chances for lost or stolen data. More importantly, it is unclear about exactly which country laws govern the protection of consumer credit and financial data. It is unclear which country laws govern the notification when the company (e.g., TransUnion, True Credit) suffers a data breach by an outsource call center vendor in another country."

More of this article can be read here : http://ivebeenmugged.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/05/is-it-wise-fo-1.html
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can understand the concern.  To me it has nothing to with the character of one country's citizens as opposed to another.  It has to do with the lack of jurisdiction of US authorities in case some of your personal data does get compromised.
Message 4 of 19
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
LEL..it has nothing to do with philipinos in general, so take a chill pill please.

I'm sorry that you were offended by my post. I guess when I read things like "I do not trust these people", it sound like a blanket statement describing Filipinos in general. I will chalk it up to a poor choice of words by you.

For the record, when I had trouble signing up for Score Watch, I had to provide my SSN and a bunch of other sensitive information to the person on the other end of the line. I am just assuming that the myFICO.com rep that I spoke to was based in the US. In any case, I do not think that this American I spoke to was particularly incompetent or playing loose with my personal information when he asked for my SSN.

Aaaahhhh....my chill pill has just taken effect. Thanks for the recommendation! Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Identity theft can occur anywhere. And, unfortunately, the more our personal information gets sent around hither, thither and yon, the more chance there is for security to be compromised.

In the long run, I think biometrics are going to be required to fully secure us.
Message 6 of 19
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I can understand the concern. To me it has nothing to with the character of one country's citizens as opposed to another. It has to do with the lack of jurisdiction of US authorities in case some of your personal data does get compromised.

cheddar, I agree with you on this. But my quibble is that there was nothing in the original message that indicated that this was the concern. The OP related a negative interaction with TC and generalized it to described Filipinos in general - "they are so poorly trained." The OP implies that Filipinos are untrustworthy - "I do not trust these people." The OP suggests that Filipinos are more prone to corruption - "After a while of working for 4.00 an hour or whatever they make, they will easily be enticed by a 2,000 offer to give someone some information."

I have had trouble with billing and other customer service issues on multiple occasions in the past. In some of these cases, I know that I was patched through to call center in a place beyond our borders. And in some cases, it was not easy to get my problems resolved. But it would have been inappropriate to make general statements about Indians, Pakistanis, Minnesotans, and Texans based on my experiences.

The generalization of a people is no different than Don Imus's recent "what color is he" comment about Pacman Jones.
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lel wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I can understand the concern. To me it has nothing to with the character of one country's citizens as opposed to another. It has to do with the lack of jurisdiction of US authorities in case some of your personal data does get compromised.

cheddar, I agree with you on this. But my quibble is that there was nothing in the original message that indicated that this was the concern. The OP related a negative interaction with TC and generalized it to described Filipinos in general - "they are so poorly trained." The OP implies that Filipinos are untrustworthy - "I do not trust these people." The OP suggests that Filipinos are more prone to corruption - "After a while of working for 4.00 an hour or whatever they make, they will easily be enticed by a 2,000 offer to give someone some information."

I have had trouble with billing and other customer service issues on multiple occasions in the past. In some of these cases, I know that I was patched through to call center in a place beyond our borders. And in some cases, it was not easy to get my problems resolved. But it would have been inappropriate to make general statements about Indians, Pakistanis, Minnesotans, and Texans based on my experiences.

The generalization of a people is no different than Don Imus's recent "what color is he" comment about Pacman Jones.

I understand, Lel.  Your points are well taken.

Message 8 of 19
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

I cannot stand calling equifax credit watch line! I was having trouble updated my credit report, and i called to tell them two times and they were unable to resolve the issue so i canceled my service! They make me so mad because its like they dont know anything, its ridiculous!
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Too many companies here in the U.S., TrueCredit included, outsources their customer service facilities or Call Centers to Asian countries, the Philippines included (the citizens are referred to as "Filipinos", instead of "Philipino") to obviously cut down on operating costs.  You would be surprised to know that even AT&T's technical assistance is even handled by some Filipino customer service workers, even Dell. 
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.