Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is income a big factor???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is income a big factor???

Is income a big factor when you apply for credit card? I am currently a student and have no income however I have an OK score of FICO 707. Should I emphasize my other source of income based on parent's support? 

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is income a big factor???

If you have no income, why do you need a credit card??????????  PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!  That is not using credit wisely.  We shouldn't even have to live off credit.

When you start working, save your money & use it wisely - don't use credit!!!!!!!!!

Message 2 of 21
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is income a big factor when you apply for credit card? I am currently a student and have no income however I have an OK score of FICO 707. Should I emphasize my other source of income based on parent's support? 

Yes it is.  And I agree with the other poster, don't apply for credit if you do not have the means to pay it back.
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have no income, why do you need a credit card??????????  PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!  That is not using credit wisely.  We shouldn't even have to live off credit.

When you start working, save your money & use it wisely - don't use credit!!!!!!!!!

So you're saying all the college students in the US with credit cards are not using credit wisely?  

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guiness56 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes it is.  And I agree with the other poster, don't apply for credit if you do not have the means to pay it back.
 I rarely use my credit card and I when I do I make sure my saving is enough to pay it back. According the other post I shouldn't even apply for student card then. 

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is EXACTLY right.  IN MY OPINION:  CCs go after them for greedy reasons....they are young and HAVE no money.  There is a documentary out there that is so eye-opening, but I doubt these forums will allow me to post the name of it.

It's very simple math anyway.  If someone came to you and asked for $1000, would you give them money if they had no job?!  That would be called a "gift" and NOT a loan. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 21
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Are you wanting to get another CC or wanting to improve your score?

While I agree with the other poster to some extent, I do not believe every student misuses credit but, because they are a target from some CC companies, they are easy prey and stand the chance of messing up their credit.

Credit is a good thing if done correctly.  Do not apply for things you do not need and pay back what you use.

Message Edited by guiness56 on 02-22-2010 09:15 AM
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That is EXACTLY right.  IN MY OPINION:  CCs go after them for greedy reasons....they are young and HAVE no money.  There is a documentary out there that is so eye-opening, but I doubt these forums will allow me to post the name of it.

It's very simple math anyway.  If someone came to you and asked for $1000, would you give them money if they had no job?!  That would be called a "gift" and NOT a loan. Smiley Wink

I am assuming this is when a good credit history taking in place so the lender can see the person has been paying on time for a good number of years...without a job. 

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guiness56 wrote:

Are you wanting to get another CC or wanting to improve your score? 

I want to get another CC to improve my credit score. So i guess both.

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well.....it's your credit - to use or not.

I'm teaching my kids to NEVER have a credit card.  Cash is king for cars, houses and everything! Smiley Wink

Message Edited by Micaela09 on 02-22-2010 11:31 AM
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.