Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is income a big factor???

tag
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Is income a big factor???

I completely respect your decision to do that.  Not everyone has the means to pay by cash only and for those of use that can not, credit is a good choice if done correctly and when you need it.

@Anonymous wrote:

Well.....it's your credit - to use or not.

I'm teaching my kids to NEVER have a credit card.  Cash is king for cars, houses and everything! Smiley Wink

Message Edited by Micaela09 on 02-22-2010 11:31 AM

Message 11 of 21
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Would your parents consider adding you as an AU on one of their CC.  Your credit would reflect what they are doing with theirs.  Meaning, if it is a CC in good standing, older than your oldest card and CL, it would help your score.  If they are late, it will reflect on your score.

Just an option. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

Are you wanting to get another CC or wanting to improve your score? 

I want to get another CC to improve my credit score. So i guess both.

Message 12 of 21
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

If I may ask, how old are you?  Today is February 22, and there are new restrictions on persons obtaining a credit card if younger than 21.  In particular, you'll need to show proof of income; if you cannot demonstrate an ability to make the payments on your own (because you have 0 income), then a co-signer will be required.

Way back in my youth, it was easier to get a CC than an extension on a term paper.  The CCCs were exceptionally loose about what constituted income.  In one case, I was asked if I got any disbursements from student loans - why yes, I did!  And they used this as "income" to get me qualified for a card.  Bizarre, huh?  One form of debt was used as income to allow me to run up even more debt.  It's analgous to taking a cash advance from a CC and calling that income.

howhow16 wrote:
I am assuming this is when a good credit history taking in place so the lender can see the person has been paying on time for a good number of years...without a job. 

In the final analysis, future creditors are not going to look at your past income and payment history to consider your application more favorably.  All they will care about is whether you pay your CC on time or not - they won't care about the source of funds.

In my opinion, it is important for everyone to learn the responsible use of credit early in life.  It seems that you are doing a good job of it already, managing one credit card wisely already (and finding these forums, of course Smiley Wink).  But I would't necessarily apply for new credit unless you need new credit.  You can build a good credit history slowly with the credit card you have now, and when you get that first job after graduation, then you can start fattening your wallet with plastic as needed.  Do you have any other tradelines?  Student loans, car loans?  If so, and if you manage those well, then your credit score will reflect that over time.

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Geez...

Forget that she is in college.  Just answer her question.  Is income a big factor?

I'm 29 with a full time job and I'm curious about the answer myself.

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

The question was answered.  Look back at the posts.  The poster had also stated that he/she wanted a CC w/no income.  Therefore, I replied to that as well.
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lel wrote:

If I may ask, how old are you?  Today is February 22, and there are new restrictions on persons obtaining a credit card if younger than 21.  In particular, you'll need to show proof of income; if you cannot demonstrate an ability to make the payments on your own (because you have 0 income), then a co-signer will be required.

I am a 25 year old graduate student. 

In the final analysis, future creditors are not going to look at your past income and payment history to consider your application more favorably.  All they will care about is whether you pay your CC on time or not - they won't care about the source of funds.

If I list my source of funds as monthly support from my parents would they be counted?

Do you have any other tradelines?  Student loans, car loans?  If so, and if you manage those well, then your credit score will reflect that over time.

I study oversea so I'm looking at a Cap One card for their 0% FTF or a Schwab Visa card...I currently have Citi Divident Master and Macy's store card. Total CL about 5k. I am starting to charge larger amounts on my citi because I need to buy tickets to fly home therefore I am looking to apply a another cc to increase my credit and to reduce my utilization%. 

Message 16 of 21
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

howhow16 wrote:

If I list my source of funds as monthly support from my parents would they be counted?
Probably not.

I study oversea so I'm looking at a Cap One card for their 0% FTF or a Schwab Visa card...I currently have Citi Divident Master and Macy's store card. Total CL about 5k. I am starting to charge larger amounts on my citi because I need to buy tickets to fly home therefore I am looking to apply a another cc to increase my credit and to reduce my utilization%. 
Ahhhh, Cap One.  If you do choose to apply, I hope you have better luck than me.  I've got scores above 800, a good income, a decent amount saved up an in retirement funds and savings accounts, and over 22 years of credit history with no missed payments, but I just got denied by them because my mortgage hasn't been paid down enough since it was opened a few years ago.  I, too, applied because of the zero foreign transaction fee.
One option you could consider is contacting Macy's to change your card to a Macy's Visa and request a credit limit increase (though with no income, neither option may be forthcoming).  The FTF for the Macy's Visa is only 1%.
With regard to utilization, it's only important if you need new credit in the immediate future and have to improve your scores.  If you can pay for your plane tickets with your current credit card, even if it's maxed out until it's paid, it won't really matter if you don't need to apply for new credit until after you've paid off the balance.  Your score will bounce back once the util drops.

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll try the Macy's Visa. Thank you! =) 
Message 18 of 21
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well.....it's your credit - to use or not.

I'm teaching my kids to NEVER have a credit card.  Cash is king for cars, houses and everything! Smiley Wink

We are the opposite at our house. We teach our kids to use credit responsibly. Our older children all own homes, except our oldest...the one who makes the most income of all of them. He has figured out that he is much better off financially by renting. None of them have a car loan.

Our youngest...the 17 y/o...is an AU on most of our credit cards. She walks around every day with purchasing power of about $35k. She has never abused this privilege. One time there was a $2.91 charge at Dairy Queen. She had already ordered and then realized she had no cash. Apologized up, down, left, and right for charging on the card. Also, she travels a fair amount, and we live in the upper midwest (blizzards). I want her to have the ability to get herself out of a bad situation if she has to. I'm glad that she has had the experience of having credit cards and very seldomly using them. She's only 17 and has withstood the temptation that having available credit can present.

Most people will use credit in their lives, especially if they buy a home...or, if they get sick and end up in a hospital or ER. Even renting an apartment is a credit agreement. I want them to be able to manage these responsibilities.

Message 19 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

+1

Credit is an excellent tool, if understood and used wisely. If not (think of an amateur with a chain saw), disaster can result.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.