cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it better to have a credit card and a charge card? Or two credit cards? Or does it not matter?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it better to have a credit card and a charge card? Or two credit cards? Or does it not matter?

I only have one credit card with a $1000 limit, but some advice to have a second card. I was considering American Express.

My credit is not bad but I would like to improve it. (Equifax-692, TransUnion-698, Experian-676). I've always the paid balance on my card, but I also leave a small revolving amount so my score doesn't go down.

Please advise.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
TURNERHOOVER
Established Contributor

Re: Is it better to have a credit card and a charge card? Or two credit cards? Or does it not matter

I'd go with two credit cards, you can still treat both as charge cards (PIF) if that's to your liking. Credit cards make for better utilization IMO. 

EX 727 | EQ 720 | TU 740

FREEDOM 4.5k | BCP 9.5k | DISCOVER 2.5k | ARRIVAL+ 7.5k | RITZ CARLTON 15k
No new Apps till Dec 2016
Message 2 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Is it better to have a credit card and a charge card? Or two credit cards? Or does it not matter

Better in what way?  Always make sure you clarify exactly what you mean by better whenever you use the word with any topic.  Don't just assume that your notion of better is universal.  For scoring purposes there may be a benefit to having variety.  However, you also have to consider that scoring models favor lower utilization and fewer balances.  In order to have only one balance reporting you need more than one credit card.  General adivce is for scoring purposes to have at least 2-3 cards.

However, you have to consider more than just score.  You need to consider what you specifcally need/want and that plays a significant role.  Instead of looking to justify a specific mix or number of cards determine your needs/wants and then find the cards that suit those requirements.

@Anonymous wrote:

I was considering American Express.

Why are you selecting a creditor and then trying to justify one of their cards?  Again, use your needs/wants to select specific products that suit you.

@TURNERHOOVER wrote:

I'd go with two credit cards, you can still treat both as charge cards (PIF) if that's to your liking. Credit cards make for better utilization IMO. 

Charge cards do not factor into utilization for current scoring models.  A charge card can be handy if one has a significant amount of reimburseable expenses (assuming timely reimbursement) if one does not want that spend increasing one's utilization.

Message 3 of 4
elim
Senior Contributor

the only reason (for me) to get an AMEX charger is for any kind of sign up bonus and earning MR's.

if you do decide to get a charger then wait until you get the 50k MR offer on PRG or 100k on Plat. You will only get 1 bonus on each AMEX card per lifetime so by all means, make it count.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.