Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it ok to pay on closed accounts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it ok to pay on closed accounts?

I have a couple of accounts that are closed for non payment.  Is it ok for me to start paying or should I do a PFD first?  I was wanting to pay them down some and then do a PFD.  Will it hurt my score by making payments? 
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is it ok to pay on closed accounts?

gingergirl wrote:
I have a couple of accounts that are closed for non payment.  Is it ok for me to start paying or should I do a PFD first?  I was wanting to pay them down some and then do a PFD.  Will it hurt my score by making payments? 

I'd do a PFD, but all the while saving to PIF, rather than a settlement or payment in chunks.

It will not hurt your score. If it is a CC acct, then it may help your score.

SOL may come into play. Payment can reset it. Again, PIF is best. Communication with the OC is key.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does PFD require payment in full up front or do they usually make payment arraignments?
Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

gingergirl wrote:
Does PFD require payment in full up front or do they usually make payment arraignments?

No requirement. You set the terms. I'm batting 0 for 12 or so for PFDs, so my advice may not be the best. Ideally, you'd want to make it as attractive as possible, which is close as possible to 1 payment at 100%.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.