cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth using a Debt Counseling Companie or should I do this my self ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it worth using a Debt Counseling Companie or should I do this my self ?

I tried to start my own business this year and now I owe all most 50K on credit card payments, my credit score is around 525 with all my credit cards cut off. The good news is that I have got full time job that pays 96K and I want to start paying back the money I owe 

Should I use a debt counselling company so they can negotiate a low interst rate (I am at 27% now) or should i call the credit card companies and work it out ?

Thanks

Jay

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is it worth using a Debt Counseling Companie or should I do this my self ?

Everyone's situation is different.  I did one of those and it was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made.  Others have great success.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is it a biggest mistake, how would you do it different, talk to the credit card companies direct ?

I only owe 2 credit card companies so I can talk to them direct

Jay

Message 3 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

As soon as I did my debt counseling, every creditor I had closed all my accounts and I spiraled downward and didn't recover.  They closed my accounts, jacked my interest rates as high as they possibly could and trashed my CRs.  Yes, I would definitely do the work myself.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 6
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

I had the opposite experience (although we were required to close the cards per the member agreement). Our interest rates dropped dramatically, lates stopped reporting, and we were able to get it under control and paid off. A few cards refused to participate or even work with us, but most did.

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 5 of 6
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

I did some research on debt consolidation several years ago when I felt things were a little out of control. Turns out that the debt consolidation group that got my information started pursuing me just as hard and talking to me just as rudely as my creditors. This was a major turn off and certainly didn't feel like "relief". 

My research (geared towards my specific situation) yielded more negatives then positives therefore I decided to do the legwork myself.

Doing the work/communicating/negotiating on my own allowed me to become more intimately knowledgeable about my credit standing, its strengths and weaknesses.

I think there are muliple resources on the internet nowadays. many more then when I was trying to get a handle on things.  

As a fellow business owner, I stand by my approach.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.