New Visitor
fafj18a

Is re-dating a debt legal??

A collection company (Afni, Inc.) found an old Verizon phone bill for $225 from a time when I was homeless and had to leave my apartment. The original date of the debt was in 1996, over ELEVEN years ago. According to Suzy Orman, this is well beyond the 7-year statute of limitations. Now, Afni claims that they are now considering this a new debt, effective now, since they have acquired the account and have opened a new collection. Can they really do this? If this is the case, then no one is safe. Now, this is of course assuming that the phone bill really IS mine, I tried to dispute it since I don't remember that far back, but they just insisted. Can you really, as a collector, take a 11, 15, or even 20 year old debt, and count it as new and current just because you opened a collection for it? How does this really work? Any advice would be very helpful - thank you so much! By the way, I have sent a formal dispute letter, along with a no-call letter, via certified return receipt mail. Thanks very much, everyone!
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

Re: Is re-dating a debt legal??

New Visitor
fafj18a

Re: Is re-dating a debt legal??

Thank you so much!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+